[CPCC] TALK: Secrecy in Multiuser MIMO May 10 Mon 10 AM

Ender Ayanoglu ayanoglu at uci.edu
Mon May 3 11:35:59 PDT 2010

                           CPCC SEMINAR

      Trust, Secrecy, and Coordination in Multiuser MIMO Networks

                                by

                           Amitav Mukherjee

                         May 10, 2010, Monday
                                10 AM
                       Engineering Gateway 3161

                               ABSTRACT

Accurate channel state information (CSI) at the transmitter is
critical for maximizing spectral efficiency on the downlink of
multi-antenna networks. In the first part of this talk, we analyze a
novel form of physical layer attacks on such closed-loop wireless
networks. Specifically, we consider the impact of deliberately
inaccurate feedback by malicious users in a multiuser multicast
system. Numerical results demonstrate the significant degradation in
performance of closed-loop transmission schemes due to intentional
feedback of false CSI by adversarial users.  Next, we investigate the
vulnerability of analog network coding (ANC) to physical layer attacks
from adversarial users, when all nodes are equipped with multiple
antennas. Specifically, we examine the MIMO two way relay channel
(TWRC) with two users trying to communicate with each other via a
relay node in the presence of a passive eavesdropper. We propose a new
performance metric, namely the secrecy sum rate of the MIMO TWRC, to
quantify performance. We then consider secure transmission strategies
for the scenarios of no eavesdropper channel state information at the
transmitters (ECSIT) and complete ECSIT, respectively.  Finally, we
look at the benefit of distributed linear transmission strategies for
the multiple-input multiple-output (MIMO) interference channel with
multiple concurrent links. We introduce the notion of self-restraining
beamforming (SR-BF), where each transmitter minimizes the interference
it causes to other users while satisfying its own signal-to-interference-
plus-noise ratio requirement. The computation of the optimal transmit
beamformers is shown to decouple into a generalized eigenvector
problem. In addition, we analyze the optimality and uniqueness of
the proposed distributed beamforming solution.

                        SPEAKER'S BIOGRAPHY

Amitav Mukherjee received the B.S. degree in electrical engineering
from the University of Kansas, Lawrence, KS in 2005, and the M.S.
degree in electrical engineering from Wichita State University,
Wichita, KS in 2007. He is currently pursuing his Ph.D. degree at the
Department of Electrical Engineering and Computer Science, University
of California, Irvine, CA.

During the summer of 2010, he was a research intern with Qualcomm
Inc., San Diego, CA. His research interests lie in multiple-user
wireless networks and applied signal processing. Amitav is a student
member of SIAM, and the IEEE Communications and Signal Processing
Societies.