[CPCC] SEMINAR: Congestion Control over Coded Networks 1/11 Monday 10 AM

Ender Ayanoglu ayanoglu at uci.edu
Tue Jan 5 19:58:53 PST 2010

                              CPCC SEMINAR

                  Congestion Control over Coded Networks

                                   by

                             Hulya Seferoglu

                        January 11, 2010, Monday
                                 10 AM
                        Engineering Gateway 3161

                                ABSTRACT

In this work, we study congestion control for unicast sessions over
wireless networks with intersession network coding. The key intuition
is that flows that are coded together do not compete for resources,
and congestion control mechanisms need to be modified to take this
into account. We take the following steps. First, we formulate the
problem as utility maximization and present a distributed solution.
Then, using the structure of the optimal solution, we propose minimal
changes to current transport and queue management protocols so as to
make them "network coding-aware," in the sense that they make
decisions based on the network coding and congestion state. Finally,
we demonstrate, via simulation, that our schemes outperform network
coding-unaware protocols, such as standard TCP, and achieve
near-optimal performance.

                             SPEAKER'S BIOGRAPHY

Hulya Seferoglu received the B.S. degree in Electrical Engineering
from Istanbul University, Turkey, in 2003 and M.S degree in EECS from
Sabanci University, Turkey in 2005. She worked as a summer intern in
Microsoft Research, Cambridge and in Docomo USA Labs in 2007 and 2008,
respectively. She is currently working towards the Ph.D degree at the
University of California, Irvine. Her research interests include network
coding, congestion control, and multimedia streaming. She received a
CPCC graduate fellowship for the years 2006-08.