[CPCC] Passing the baton

Ender Ayanoglu ayanoglu at uci.edu
Tue Apr 27 22:00:22 PDT 2010

Dear Mailing List Subscriber,

The Center for Pervasive Communications and Computing (CPCC) was
established at UC Irvine in June 2000 with the goal of attracting new
faculty and establishing a research group in the field of
communications as a five-year program. I was hired as the Interim
Director in September 2002 and have been serving as its Director since
January 2003.  During this time, we have extended the original five-
year program and we have supported 76 one-year graduate student
fellowships or research projects of 17 faculty from the Schools of
Engineering and ICS. In a number of cases, this research was conducted
jointly with our industrial partners. In some cases, our industrial
partners have adopted the tools we developed in our research. In
addition to hiring the five faculty originally planned, three more
faculty in closely related fields have joined UC Irvine's EECS
Department during this time. At the same time, our faculty garnered a
number of highly prestiguous awards, as documented on our Web page. In
three remarkable cases, our graduate student fellows were the
coauthors of very prestigious journal or conference Best Paper Awards
received together with their advisors. We have been running a weekly
seminar with our fellows presenting their research results to their
peers. Most of our past fellows have completed their degree
requirements and have joined industry or academia. Many of them are
employed locally, contributing to the Southern California's economy.

It is time for me to pass the baton. As of May 1, 2010, the new
director of the CPCC will be Professor Hamid Jafarkhani.

The CPCC was the brainchild of Dwight Decker, the former CEO of
Conexant Systems, Inc. I am personally thankful to him for his vision
and continuing support over the many years. I would also like to thank
Raouf Halim, CEO and Director of Mindspeed Technologies, Inc, for his
support during this time. Thanks are also due to Skyworks Solutions,
Inc., and the Samueli and Nicholas Foundations for their contributions.

Many highlights of our activities during the last eight years are
documented on our Web site, www.cpcc.uci.edu.

Best regards.

Ender Ayanoglu