[CPCC] Talk On Wednesday at 2 PM

Ahmed Eltawil aeltawil at uci.edu
Mon Jul 6 16:35:30 PDT 2009

Information Theoretic Security: From Theory to Practice

Wednesday, July 8th, 2009

When: 2:00 - 3:00 PM

Where: Engineering Hall, Room 2430

Speaker:

Hesham El Gamal, Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering, Ohio
State University.

Abstract:

Recently, there has been a renowned interest in information theoretic
security research motivated by wireless networking applications. This
paradigm allows for constructing low complexity and provably secure
protocols matched to the characteristics of the wireless channels. My talk
will summarize the recent results obtained by my research group on the
theory and practice of wireless physical layer security. On the theoretical
results, our results shed light on the fundamental limits and optimal
security protocols for fading, cooperative, feedback, and interference
channels. Finally, I will review our recent efforts focusing on the design
of security protocols for Wi-Fi and sensor networks inspired by information
theoretic principles.

About the Speaker:

Hesham El Gamal received the B.S. and M.S. degrees in Electrical Engineering
from Cairo University, Cairo, Egypt, in 1993 and 1996, respectively, and the
Ph.D. degree in Electrical and Computer Engineering from the University of
Maryland at College Park, MD, in 1999. From 1993 to 1996, he served as a
Project Manager in the Middle East Regional Office of Alcatel Telecom. From
1996 to 1999, he was a Research Assistant in the Department of Electrical
and Computer Engineering, the University of Maryland at College Park, MD.
>From February 1999 to December 2000, he was with the Advanced Development
Group, Hughes Network Systems (HNS), Germantown, MD, as a Senior Member of
the Technical Staff. Since January 2001, he has been with the Electrical and
Computer Engineering Department at the Ohio State University where he is now
a Professor. He held visiting appointments at UCLA, Institut Eurecom and
served as a Founding Director for the Wireless Intelligent Networks Center
(WINC) at Nile University (2007-2009).

He is a recipient of the HNS Annual Achievement Award (2000), the OSU
College of Engineering Lumley Research Award (2003, 2008), the OSU
Electrical Engineering Department FARMER Young Faculty Development Fund
(2003-2008), The OSU Stanley E. Harrison Award (2008), and the National
Science Foundation CAREER Award (2004). He holds 10 patents and has 9 more
pending applications. He is a Senior Member of the IEEE and served as an
Associate Editor for the IEEE Transactions on Communications (2001-2005), an
Associate Editor for the IEEE Transactions on Mobile Computing (2003-2007),
a Guest Editor for the IEEE Transactions on Information Theory special issue
on cooperative communications (2007), a member of the SP4COM technical
committee (2002-2005), and a co-chair of the Globecom'08 communication
theory symposium. He currently serves as an Associate Editor for the IEEE
Transactions on Information Forensics and Security and a co-chair of the
2010 IEEE Information Theory Workshop.

For more information, please contact

Ahmed M. Eltawil

aeltawil at uci.edu

4412 Engineering Hall,

Electrical Engineering and Computer Science Department

University of California, Irvine, CA 92697

Tel: 949-824-0125

Ahmed M. Eltawil, Assistant Professor

Henry Samueli Faculty Fellow

The Henry Samueli School of Engineering

Department of Elect. Eng. and Computer Science

University of California, Irvine

516F Engineering Tower

Irvine, CA 92697
Tel: (949)824-0125