[CPCC] TALK Optical OFDM March 22 Thu 11 AM

Ender Ayanoglu ayanoglu at uci.edu
Wed Mar 14 15:40:11 PDT 2007

                                  TALK

        Polarization-Mode Dispersion with Coherent Optical OFDM

                           Dr. William Shieh
                        University of Melbourne

                            March 22, 2007
				11 AM
                         Engineering Tower 331

                               Abstract

Polarization-mode dispersion (PMD) has long been considered as the
fundamental barrier to high speed optical systems.  The efforts to
overcome this problem have so far frustrated the optical communications
community. In this talk, we show that for multi-carrier systems such as
coherent optical orthogonal frequency-division multiplexed (CO-OFDM)
systems, not only does PMD not cause any impairment, but it also provides
a benefit of polarization diversity against polarization-dependent-loss
(PDL) induced fading and consequently improves the system margin. We will
also discuss the ensuing impact of this finding to optical systems and
networks. Additionally, we will discuss the challenges associated with
implementing the CO-OFDM systems.

			       Biography

Dr. William Shieh has been with the University of Melbourne since 2004.
His areas of interest include OFDM techniques for optical and wireless
applications, coherent optical communications, optical signal processing
and equalization, all-optical packet switching, and polarization effects
in optical fiber. Dr. Shieh also has research experience as technical
section lead, submarine amplifier design group, Dorsal Networks/Corvis
Corporation (2000-03), member of technical staff, Bell Labs at Lucent
Technology, (1998-2000) and member of technical staff, Jet Propulsion Labs
at Time and Frequency Systems Group (1996 -1998).