[CPCC] TALK: Cooperation in Wireless Networks (March 1)

Ender Ayanoglu ayanoglu at uci.edu
Sun Feb 12 16:55:17 PST 2006

                            Seminar

Cooperation in Wireless Networks: Node Assignment Strategies

                       Prof. Aria Nosratinia

                              2-3 PM
                        Wed March 1, 2006

                      Engineering Tower 331

Abstract:

We consider cooperative wireless networks, in particular the
non-altruistic variety where there are no pure relays and all nodes
that are "on" have data of their own to transmit. In this context, we
begin by presenting a coded cooperation framework, where cooperation
is achieved in the context of channel coding. We then talk about node
assignment strategies. In general, not all nodes in a wireless network
wish to be involved in every transmission. So for a multi-node
cooperation protocol, one needs strategies of grouping the nodes. We
examine such strategies under two types of constraints:  distributed
control and centralized control. We show that there exist simple
distributed strategies that guarantee full diversity (in the number of
decoding attempts) over the network. Since the distributed strategies
already achieve full diversity, centralized control does not provide
any additional diversity gain, however, based on various amounts of
channel state information being available to the central controller,
significant gains are still posssible over and above distributed
control. We characterize these gains under a variety of conditions.

Speaker's Bio:

Aria Nosratinia received his Ph.D. in Electrical and Computer
Engineering from the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign.
During the academic year 1995-96, he was with Princeton University,
Princeton, New Jersey. From 1996 to 1999, he was a visiting professor
and faculty fellow at Rice University, Houston, Texas. Since July
1999, he has been on the faculty of the University of Texas at Dallas,
where he is now Associate Professor of Electrical Engineering.
Currently he is spending a sabbatical leave at UCLA.
His interests lie in the broad area of information theory, coding, and
signal processing, in particular various problems related to wireless
networks. He received the National Science Foundation career award in
January 2000.  He serves as associate editor for the IEEE Transactions
on Image Processing and IEEE Wireless Communications.

Directions: www.uci.edu/campusmaps.shtml