[CPCC] Talk Jun 26 Thu 11 AM

Ender Ayanoglu ayanoglu@uci.edu
Mon Jun 16 16:43:03 2003

				TALK

			Dr. Peyman Meshkat
			      UCI EECS
				CPCC

		ON THE DESIGN OF IRREGULAR LDPC CODES
	      FOR NON-BINARY MODULATION AND MIMO CHANNELS

		       Thursday June 26, 2003
				11 AM
			Engineering Tower 331

				ABSTRACT

In this talk we address the problem of designing irregular LDPC
(Low-Density Parity-Check) codes for non-binary modulation and MIMO
channels. Irregular LDPC codes are the best known codes for binary
modulation used over binary symmetric channels. Little has been done
on the design of these codes for M-ary modulation and transmission
scenarios involving multiple transmit and multiple receive antennas.

In this research, using the graphical representation of Bayesian
networks and belief propagation algorithm, we have developed a
framework for decoding LDPC coded data used over a MIMO channel. On a
more theoretical side, we have generalized Richardson's concentration
theorem to the case of non-binary modulations and MIMO channels. Due
to this theorem we derive the recursions that describe "density
evolution" for messages used in the iterative decoding of LDPC codes
for the above mentioned transmission scenarios. The results can be
used in designing practical LDPC codes which are optimized for
transmission using multiple transmit and multiple receive antennas.

			SPEAKER'S BIOGRAPHY

Peyman Meshkat received the B.S. degree from Sharif University of
Technology, Tehran, Iran in 1994, M.S. and Ph.D. degrees from UCLA in
1998 and 2001, all in Electrical Engineering. During the summer of 2000
he worked as a summer intern at AT&T Shannon Laboratories, Florham Park,
NJ. In winter 2002 he taught the course Digital Signal Processing as a
lecturer in UCLA. Since December 2001 he has worked as a Post-Doctoral
Researcher at the Center for Pervasive Communications and Computing
(CPCC), University of California, Irvine.

Directions to ET 331: http://www.eng.uci.edu/cpcc/?page=directions