Open Letter to the AMA: Where is the Public Campaign Advocating for Physicians?

CALAAEM News Service calaaem.news.service at gmail.com
Thu Jul 25 12:16:47 PDT 2019

July 8, 2019

Open Letter to the AMA: Where is the Public Campaign Advocating for
Physicians?

<https://www.aaem.org/current-news/open-letter-to-the-ama-where-is-the-publi
c-campaign-advocating-for-physicians> AAEM

-------------

July 8, 2019

Patrice A. Harris, MD MA

President, American Medical Association

AMA Plaza

330 N. Wabash Ave., Suite 39300

Chicago, IL 60611-5885

Open Letter to the AMA: Where is the Public Campaign Advocating for
Physicians?

Dear Dr. Harris and AMA Board of Directors:

The American Academy of Emergency Medicine Resident and Student Association
(AAEM/RSA), along with the AAEM, works tirelessly to advocate for the rights
of emergency medicine physicians and physicians-in-training. As one of the
largest emergency medicine resident organizations, RSA along with AAEM have
major concerns regarding the recent advertising by nurse practitioners
advocating for their independent practice.

As I'm sure you will have seen, the American Association of Nurse
Practitioners (AANP) has put forth a significant public campaign challenging
physician education and compassion with slogans such as "brain of a doctor,
heart of a nurse" going so far as airing commercials recommending patients
actively choose a nurse practitioner over a physician for one's health care.
The AANP suggests that this care is equivalent or better than that of a
physician.

Further, we are consistently seeing legislation pop up around the country
pushing for the independent practice of NPs and other midlevel providers,
and our organizations have thus far been working independently to gather
members in grassroots-style campaigns to combat these bills. While we
believe in the power of our members, we need the AMA, as the single largest
voice of all physicians, to step up and notably increase their efforts
against these dishonest and destructive campaigns by the AANP.

Right now, the only voice being heard publicly by patients is that of the
nurse practitioners. A unified public campaign in support of physician-led
care from the

AMA is critical to ensure the protection of patient safety. NPs and other
midlevel providers do not have the training required to sufficiently care
for patients independently, only trained and board certified physicians do.
With the guidance of its members, the American Academy of Emergency Medicine
(AAEM) recently updated their position statement to state that the role of
nurse practitioners and other midlevel providers is one that should be
supervised as members of the patient care team. We strongly defend this
statement.

We at the AAEM/RSA, representing thousands of our resident and future
physicians, along with AAEM, with an even larger membership of attending
physicians, urge the AMA to lead a sizable public endeavor, including:

Introducing a PR campaign that advocates for physician-led care and educates
the public of the discrepancies in nurse practitioner care

Increasing resources on state-level legislative operations that combat
independent practice bills introduced by midlevel providers

These efforts should be a priority for the AMA. Waiting for the complete
devaluation of our medical degrees and the resulting significant harm to our
patients' safety as they actively pursue less capable "providers" is not
acceptable. We must work together to directly combat this pressing issue in
order to protect our profession, our future physicians, and most importantly
our patients.

Sincerely,

Haig Aintablian, MD

President, AAEM/RSA

David A. Farcy, MD FAAEM FCCM

President, AAEM

-----------

Brian Potts MD, MBA
Managing Editor, CAL/AAEM News Service

Contact us at:  <mailto:calaaem.news.service1 at gmail.com>
calaaem.news.service1 at gmail.com

For more articles, visit our
<https://www.aaem.org/get-involved/chapter-divisions/calaaem/news-service>
archives.

 <mailto:somcaaem at uci.edu> To
list, visit our mail server.

Copyright (C) 2018. The California Chapter of the American Academy of
Emergency Medicine (CAL/AAEM).  <http://www.calaaem.org/>
http://www.calaaem.org. All rights reserved.

CAL/AAEM, a nonprofit professional organization for emergency physicians,
operates the CAL/AAEM News Service solely as an educational resource for
physicians. Dissemination of an article by CAL/AAEM News Service does not
imply endorsement, agreement, or recommendation by CAL/AAEM News Service,
CAL/AAEM, or AAEM.

Follow CAL/AAEM on Facebook and Twitter and check out WestJEM:

 <http://www.facebook.com/CALAAEM>       <https://twitter.com/CALAAEM>
<https://westjem.com/>