What is Billed in Your Name? Find Out - Request CMS Payment Information

CAL/AAEM News Service calaaem.news.service1 at gmail.com
Tue Apr 15 21:34:44 PDT 2014

April 2, 2014

AAEM Update: Access to CMS Payments

American Academy of Emergency Medicine

In 2013, AAEM sent a letter to CMS (see below) urging the opening of physician payment information upon a Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) request. While this proposal was directed at patient access we know that many EM physicians are denied access to what is billed and paid in their name and could also benefit from this knowledge. CMS has now announced that you can get access to physician payment information. The details are listed in the Federal Register at: http://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/FR-2014-01-17/pdf/2014-00808.pdf.

EM physicians are encouraged to send a FOIA request for what has been paid in their name to the below address. The following link will take you directly to everything you need to do this including a sample FOIA letter with the address on where to send it. We have also provided a phone number if you wish to inquire further.

Website: http://www.cms.gov/foia/.
FOIA Requester Service Center: Phone: (410) 786-5353
Send request to:
Michael Marquis
FOIA Officer
North Building, Room N2-20-06
7500 Security Boulevard
Baltimore, MD 21244
(410) 786-5353 (Telephone)
(410) 786-0474 (Fax)

• See the public comments on this matter including AAEM’s (PDF)

• View resources on the AAEM website

Bryan Sloane
Deputy Editor, CAL/AAEM News Service

Brian Potts MD, MBA
Managing Editor, CAL/AAEM News Service

Contact us at: calaaem.news.service1 at gmail.com

For more articles, visit our archives.

To unsubscribe from this list, visit our mail server.

Copyright (C) 2013. The California Chapter of the American Academy of Emergency Medicine (CAL/AAEM). http://www.calaaem.org. All rights reserved.

CAL/AAEM, a nonprofit professional organization for emergency physicians, operates the CAL/AAEM News Service solely as an educational resource for physicians. Dissemination of an article by CAL/AAEM News Service does not imply endorsement, agreement, or recommendation by CAL/AAEM News Service, CAL/AAEM, or AAEM.

Follow CAL/AAEM on Facebook and Twitter: