CMS issues EMTALA guidance for H1N1 flu

CAL/AAEM News Service somcaaem at hs.uci.edu
Thu Aug 27 12:01:17 PDT 2009

[http://www.aaem.org/emails/images/calaaem_header.gif]
August 21, 2009
CMS issues EMTALA guidance for H1N1 flu
The American Hospital Association<http://www.aha.org/>
The Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services recently issued a memo and fact sheet<http://www.cms.hhs.gov/SurveyCertificationGenInfo/downloads/SCLetter09_52.pdf> clarifying permissible options under the Emergency Medical Treatment and Labor Act for hospitals handling a surge in patients with H1N1 flu. For example, hospitals may set up alternative screening sites on campus or at off-campus, hospital-controlled sites, and that communities may set up screening clinics at sites not under the control of a hospital. Further, the law provides for waivers of certain EMTALA requirements in a declared public health emergency, the memo notes.
Abid Mogannam &
Brian Potts MD, MBA
Managing Editors, CAL/AAEM News Service
University of California, Irvine
If you recently started to receive articles from the CAL/AAEM News Service, we have subscribed CAL/AAEM members and AAEM members living in California to our news service subscriber list. If you are not a member of the California Chapter of AAEM but are interested in joining, please go to our website http://www.calaaem.org and click the "Membership" section.

Contact us at: somcaaem at uci.edu<mailto:somcaaem at uci.edu>

For more articles, visit our archives<http://maillists.uci.edu/mailman/public/calaaem/>.

Copyright (C) 2008 The California Chapter of the American Academy of Emergency Physicians All rights reserved.

CAL/AAEM, a nonprofit professional organization for emergency physicians, operates the CAL/AAEM News Service solely as an educational resource for physicians. Dissemination of an article by CAL/AAEM News Service does not imply endorsement, agreement, or recommendation by CAL/AAEM News Service, CAL/AAEM, or AAEM.