AAEM Approves the Creation of "The Emergency Medicine Due Process Petition"

CAL/AAEM News Service calaaem_news at yahoo.com
Thu May 1 16:46:05 PDT 2008

AAEM Approves the Creation of "The Emergency Medicine Due Process Petition"

Source: The American Academy of Emergency Medicine ( http://www.aaem.org )
Date: April 23, 2008

During the AAEM Board of Directors meeting in February, the board approved the creation of a petition specifically for emergency medicine. The petition is posted on line at www.aaem.org and individuals are encouraged to sign the petition and let others know about this important EM due process statement.

The petition reads:

"We, the undersigned emergency physicians of this country believe that due process is fundamental to our ability to advocate in the best interest of our patients. Many of our patients are vulnerable and under or uninsured. We emergency physicians are restrained from acting on their behalf if we can be terminated from our position without a right to a fair hearing in front of our peers on the medical staff. Any party who contractually denies this right to emergency physicians threatens the well being of our citizens who find themselves needing care in the emergency department."

Go to http://aaem.org/dueprocess/petition/ to sign the petition now.

American Academy of Emergency Medicine
555 E. Wells Street
Suite 1100