EM Unity Proposal Unanswered

CAL/AAEM News Service calaaem_news at yahoo.com
Fri Nov 17 13:31:12 PST 2006

EM Unity Proposal Unanswered

Source: AAEM (http://www.aaem.org)
Date: October 23, 2006

voice on critical issues, the AAEM board in May of 2005 passed a resolution offering
unification of its state and federal efforts with the American College of Emergency
Physicians.  This included combined lobbying efforts and unification of the respective
political action and the government affairs committees on a per member basis.  We also
offered a path to organizational unification at the state level.

The AAEM believes that synergy is possible and desirable on key issues such as tort
reform, crowding and the on-call crisis.  Cooperation in this manner would have created
unity in the key external issues affecting EM while allowing each organization to
continue a separate focus on other matters affecting their members.

Unfortunately, after one and one half years there has been no response regarding this
unity proposal to AAEM by the American College of Emergency Physicians.  AAEM therefore
assures its members that we will continue our current efforts and strive for greater
influence at the state and federal level.

Cyrus Shahpar & Brian Potts
Managing Editors, CAL/AAEM News Service
University of California, Irvine