AMA House Votes on Corporate Practice of Medicine

CAL/AAEM News Service calaaem_news at yahoo.com
Sun Nov 20 18:03:32 PST 2005

AMA House Votes on Corporate Practice of Medicine

Source: AAEM (http://www.aaem.org)
Date: November 9, 2005

AAEM Update: AMA House Votes on Corporate Practice of Medicine

On 11/7/05, the AMA House of Delegates voted in favor of a recommendation put forth by
the AMA Board of Trustees regarding the corporate practice of medicine (BOT report 9).
Now, the AMA will direct its legal staff to assist state societies in preparing
legislation to limit the corporate practice of medicine.  The report had initially been
withdrawn in June, but AAEM reiterated our concerns to the AMA in September, and the AMA
Board reintroduced the report at this week's AMA Interim meeting. Two AAEM board members,
Larry Weiss, MD JD, and Mark Reiter, MD MBA, President of the AAEM Resident Student
Association (AAEM/RSA), spoke in strong support of the recommendation at the meeting and
supplied written materials as well.  In addition, AAEM actively lobbied many state and
specialty organizations for their support.

AAEM, as you know, has vigorously pursued enforcement of state prohibitions on the
corporate practice of medicine in states where statutory or case law in this area is
strong.  This was the foundation of our actions in the Catholic Healthcare West and Mt.
Diablo case in CA and the recent matter involving EmCare in MN. We are currently
developing action in other states along this line.

The AMA decision is good news for emergency physicians.  AAEM will have a powerful ally
in trying to shape more clear prohibitions on corporate control of medical practice in
those states where the matter is poorly defined or currently not addressed.  Having the
nation's preeminent physician organization validate a core part of our mission should
inspire confidence in our members and potential members that AAEM has been on the right
track on this issue.  Something can and needs to be done to restore control of the
practice of emergency medicine to the physicians.  AAEM is committed to this end and we
appreciate your support.  Encourage your colleagues to join with us.  The AAEM

Foundation has been set up to help fund our efforts in this area, please consider
donating to this on our website at www.aaem.org or in response to our mail requests.

AAEM
555 East Wells Street, Suite 1100
Milwaukee,  WI 53202-3823