FW: Smallpox Task Force

Kazzi, A. Antoine akazzi@uci.edu
Mon, 16 Dec 2002 02:11:20 -0800

-----Original Message-----
From: AAEM
To: akazzi@attglobal.net
Sent: 12/11/2002 1:40 PM
Subject: Smallpox Task Force

To: AAEM members
Re: Smallpox Task Force

AAEM has created a task force to look at the issues related to the
proposed vaccination of EM physicians for smallpox. We are fortunate to
have the expertise of Dr. Greg Moran from UCLA and Dr. David Karras from
Temple to lead this group and we have asked for members from other EM
organizations. The task force has been asked to examine the below items:

1) What is the risk/benefit ratio of receiving the vaccine? What are the
issues related to working after getting the vaccine? Is time off
required? Is there a risk to our families if we receive the vaccine?

2) What are the timing issues related to the need for the vaccine? Is it
advisable to obtain it now? What about waiting until there is an index
case or definite threat?

3) In light of 1) and 2) can we specifically advise an EP whether or not
to get the vaccine at this time?

As an AAEM member we invite you to pose any other questions to AAEM that
we
will screen for consideration by this work group.  Please send your

AAEM
611 East Wells Street
Milwaukee, WI 53202
800-884-2236
Fax: 414-276-3349
E-mail: info@aaem.org
Website: www.aaem.org

This e-mail/fax message, including any attachments, is for the sole use of
information.  Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure or distribution is
prohibited.  If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the
sender by reply e-mail/fax and destroy all copies of the original message.