[BGSN] UPDATES: Week 6

BLOC @ UCI bloclistserve at gmail.com
Tue Nov 5 23:38:46 PST 2013

Beautiful Black people, I received a suggestion to send out a weekly email
with some events and information from the ANNOUNCEMENTS at the BSU meeting
on Monday.

Anyways, I hope everyone is doing exceptionally well on their midterms,
projects, and papers that are starting to stockpile up since its Week 6!
But don't forget about what is going on outside of your studies.

*Updates: *

   - On going-
      - AKA Canned Food Drive: Bin located outside BSU Office
      - AKA Talent Show: contact Tori
      - BSU Shirts: $12, email, find, contact Victoria Okolo
      - ABC Applications:
      https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1SN1SBN1Yjm5Vn5xA-VQvDiiVz44rpE-M27_qI4jRzKQ/viewform

      - Kinship Group Opportunities: email Cheryl Flores crflores at uci.edu
      - Black Afrikan and Retention: mentors wanted contact Sandra Johnson
      sandraj at uci.edu or Ayana Baines abaines at uci,edu
      - S.T.O.M.P.: will begin in Winter Quarter, mentors needed contact
      - Vagina Monologues: BLACK WOMYN NEEDED contact-  oanumudu at uci.edu
   - This week-
      - Ethiopian Student Union Clothes and Shoes Drive: Box located
      outside BSU Office
      - New Narratives Program Services: feature some of our prominent
      faculty on campus, including Professor Sexton from African American
      Studies, Professor Rosas from Chicano/Latino Studies, and Professor Lee
      from Asian American Studies. The event will specifically focus on the
      topic of race and racism, and we will reflect back on past
year's events on
      campus. Several leaders from various areas of campus are expected to be
      there, along with members of classes from both the School of
Humanities and
      the School of Social Sciences.
      http://www.studentaffairs.uci.edu/newnarratives/
   - BSU Basketball Caravan: Thursday at 7 p.m. the UCI Women's Basketball
      Team will be playing. Meet up at 6:30 p.m. in the BSU Room to support the
      Women's team as they play their first exhibition game! & Friday at 7 p.m.
      the Men's Team will be playing, meet up at 6:30 p.m. in the BSU Room to
      support the Men's team.
   - Upcoming-
      - Freshman Movie Nights- TBA
      - Freshman Study Groups- TBA
      - Karaoke Night- Nov 23rd at Elvis Studios, details coming
      - NO BSU NOV 11th

Thats all folks, and also don't forget to hang out in the BSU office in
between your classes! That's what it is for.

Peace (Hotep) to all,
Taylor Cuthbertson, Communications Chair

--
Black Leaders On Campus (BLOC)
University of California, Irvine

100 Black Women |  Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority, Inc. | Alpha Phi Alpha
Fraternity, Inc. | Black Educated Men (B.E. Men) | Black Law Society (BLS)
| Black Queer Collective (BQC) | Black Student Union (BSU) | Christ Our
Redeemer (COR) | Delta Sigma Theta Sorority, Inc. | El Si Rosa Parks House
| Ethiopian Student Association (ESA) | Kappa Alpha Psi Fraternity, Inc. |
Minority Association of Pre-Health Students (MAPS) | National Society of
Black Engineers (NSBE) | Nigerian Student Association (NSA) | Omega Psi Phi
Fraternity, Inc. | Umoja NewsMagazine