[BGSN] ALL BLACK EVERYTHING RALLY, Racism at UCI

BLOC @ UCI bloclistserve at gmail.com
Wed May 1 02:29:30 PDT 2013

We, the Black Leaders on Campus (BLOC) at UC Irvine, demand that University
administration cease labeling incidents of anti-Black violence,
particularly the fraternity videos, as “isolated” or “rare” occurrences.
Uses of terms such as “isolated” and “rare” suggest that each of these
incidents, particularly the 2013 Install video, is a standalone phenomena
that is not indicative of a larger problem on our campus and larger
society. Therefore, the Black Student Union (BSU), as part of the Black
Leaders on Campus, demand that the Office of the Vice Chancellor of Student
Affairs realize and adhere to their mission statement of offering
“comprehensive programs and services to advance co-curricular learning,
foster student leadership, enhance the quality of student life, and promote
the general welfare of the campus community” by *addressing* ALL the
instances of anti-blackness that occur on our campus.

DETAILS:

who: the UC Irvine Black Student Union, those in solidarity, and allies
what: a rally!
when: TOMORROW, MAY 1ST 11-2
where: UC Irvine, on the anteater in front of Langston Library
why: overall, the rally is to continue to gain visibility of the antiBlack
violence embedded into UCI culture, as well as society in general. this is
to give Black students a VOICE after being silenced, ignored, and neglected
for generations. this is also an opportunity for nonBlack individuals to
learn about the experience of others.
how: in solidarity and as allies, please wear all Black! for Black students
and non students, feel free to wear an instance of personal antiBlack
violence or a message you would like to share in regards to antiBlack
violence on your shirt for display
(EX: http://thespeakingspook.tumblr.com/post/48942442207<http://www.facebook.com/l.php?u=http%3A%2F%2Fthespeakingspook.tumblr.com%2Fpost%2F48942442207&h=iAQG4X0Kd&s=1>).
at the rally, BSU will provide a large wall where Black students and
nonstudents will be able to post their various messages and stories, and
there will also be a microphone where you can voice your message and
sentiments to the UCI community.

EVERYONE IS WELCOME TO COME!
We appreciate everyones efforts and time, we know this is inconvenient for
most people, but we would definitely appreciate the support!

Hope to see you there!
--
Black Leaders On Campus (BLOC)
University of California, Irvine

100 Black Women |  Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority, Inc. | Alpha Phi Alpha
Fraternity, Inc. | Black Educated Men (B.E. Men) | Black Law Society (BLS)
| Black Queer Collective (BQC) | Black Student Union (BSU) | Christ Our
Redeemer (COR) | Delta Sigma Theta Sorority, Inc. | El Si Rosa Parks House
| Ethiopian Student Association (ESA) | Kappa Alpha Psi Fraternity, Inc. |
Minority Association of Pre-Health Students (MAPS) | National Society of
Black Engineers (NSBE) | Nigerian Student Association (NSA) | Omega Psi Phi
Fraternity, Inc. | Umoja NewsMagazine