[BGSN] Campus Climate Survey

Gerald D. Parham gparham at uci.edu
Fri Jan 25 15:31:42 PST 2013

Family,
Over the past couple of weeks, you should have all received information about participation in a UC System wide assessment to gauge the "Campus Climate". The results are designed to help shape the direction the system and by default, UC Irvine needs to take in order to have a healthy climate for all. I want to encourage each of you to become actively engaged with this project. While we may be few in number, we do have a wealth of information to share about our experience(s) on this campus and what we'd like this campus to be. This includes issues related to recruitment of students, hiring of faculty and staff and the resources available to us for support.  The assumption is that if nothing is said, then nothing needs to be done. Admittedly there are some who may feel that all is well and that is fine. There are also those, I suspect, whose experience here has not necessary been what you thought it would be. That is not passing judgment on whether that is good or not so good, simply acknowledging that it is different than what you had envisioned. If you believe that you have suggestions on how to make it better, how to help create an healthy "climate", then you owe it to yourself, (and dare I say the family), to speak up and have your voice heard.
 To share part of a poem used with the young men of the 100 Black Men of Orange County's Passport To The Future Education program entitled "Standing In The River"

"...The river of our community speaks to and through us. Brothers and sisters in this community must 'listen' to the laughter and the pain and 'feel' the sorrow and the strength of our river. Black People! We are standing in the river. Alone we shall be swept away by its current. United, we can know the many rivers to cross. Individually, we shall drown in its depths. Combined, the river will guide us to the higher ground. Singularly, we are halted by its torrid banks. As one, the river shall carry us to a distant place. As one people, the river shall return us to the Source. Black People! We are standing in the river, transformed and transforming."

The survey should only take approximately 20 minutes. Steps have been taken to protect anonymity. We need everyone to step up and be a part of shaping our future. If we don't spend a little time  investing in ourselves, can we really expect anyone else to? The survey will be open until February 14th. If you have any questions, please contact Gwen Black @ gwen.black at uci.edu<mailto:gwen.black at uci.edu> or call extension 4-1590.

Have a great weekend!
Hotep, (peace)

Gerald D. Parham, President
Black Fculty and Staff Association