[BGSN] Women's Health & Empowerment Summer Institute, Aug. 1-15, 2012

Rebecca Lazarus rlazarus at students.pitzer.edu
Thu Jun 21 15:20:52 PDT 2012

This fantastic academic opportunity is open to all graduate students,
professional students, as well as recent college grads who intend to apply
to graduate or professional school in the near future.  *It is worth four
academic credits*. Scholarship money may be available.

 Women's Health & Empowerment Summer Institute
* Earn four academic credits* in a new intensive interdisciplinary program
offered by the University of California Global Health Institute at the UCLA
campus, Aug 1 – 15, 2012. ****

** **

***See testimonials from previous Summer Institute Students below*******

** **

[image: Women's Health & Empowerment Summer Inst.
Flyer.JPG]<http://www.summer.ucla.edu/institutes/womenshealth/overview.htm>
****

** **

"The Global Women's Health and Empowerment Summer Institute was one of the
most transformative course experiences I've had in my academic career.  It
is a unique opportunity to learn from incredibly passionate professors and
guest lecturers who have spent years working in the global setting and who
are experts in their respective fields.  They are eager to meet with
students and I still keep in contact with them. What really separates this
course from most others is the opportunity it provides to learn from and
become inspired by your peers.   I highly recommend it!”  ****

**-       **Emily Feher, MPH Candidate in Public Health, UCLA****

** **

** **

"I chose to attend the Women's Health and Empowerment Summer Institute just
prior to beginning the Global Health Sciences MS program at UCSF. Not only
did it prepare me for graduate level learning, it fed my deep-seated
interest in the intersection of Women's Studies and health. The core
professors and guest speakers managed to challenge an already engaged group
of students - they were able to cover a wide range of disciplines without
oversimplifying critical concepts. I would highly recommend this
institute!" ****

**-          **Diane E. Royal, MS Candidate in Global Health Sciences, UCSF*
***

** **

“The Women's Health and Empowerment Summer Institute has been the best
single learning experience of my graduate studies. The diversity of the
topics, disciplines, faculty and classmates  is unique and impressive. The
way the program weaves all of these elements together gave me a new,
holistic way of looking at health, gender, culture, empowerment, and
policy. It taught me how to be a partner with the communities being served
to ensure ultimate program ownership and sustainability.  Through the
course, we learned how to meld theories, best practices and practical
creative actions from myriad areas into strategies and programs making a
lasting, positive difference.”****

**-          **Celeste Miller, MPP Candidate in Public Policy, UCLA****

** **