[BGSN] SURP Deadline Extended!

Bloc UCI bloclistserve at gmail.com
Sun May 13 15:21:27 PDT 2012

Hey Everyone!

Need something to do for summer? Are you into research? Wanna get paid to
do research? Then good news! If you haven't already applied to the Summer
Undergraduate Research Program then you'll be happy to know there's still
time! This program is an excellent opportunity to explore different
subjects of interest to you and do something really meaningful and
productive with your summer. Check it out! :

We are pleased to announce the Twelfth Annual Summer Undergraduate
Research Program (SURP) Call for Proposals.  SURP provides funding for
UCI undergraduates from all disciplines who are conducting summer
research projects or creative activities under the guidance of UCI
faculty members.  The program offers students the opportunity to
become immersed in a research topic for a full-time ten-week period or
the equivalence of 400 hours.  SURP Fellows will receive a maximum
stipend amount of $3,000.  SURP is administered by the Undergraduate
Research Opportunities Program (UROP).

The research proposal should include background and objective of the
research project, project design and feasibility, student's specific
responsibility and level of preparation based on prior
research-related efforts, and the project's timeline. In addition,
faculty mentors will be asked to upload one letter of recommendation
per student, which would evaluate the student's performance to date
and capacity to complete the proposed activities.  If the research
involves human subjects or the use of live vertebrate animals, the
appropriate IRB or IACUC protocol number is required.  Please refer to
http://www.research.uci.edu/ora/ for guidelines and appropriate forms.

Complete proposals must be submitted online at the UROP Web site
(http://www.urop.uci.edu/surp.html), by Monday, May 7, 2012.

Proposals will be reviewed by the UROP/SURP Faculty Advisory Board.
Standards for evaluation of funding requests include:

* Intellectual merit in the student's proposed research activity
* Thoroughness and completeness of the proposal packet
* Level of commitment and support from the faculty
* Assessment of student's UCI transcript
* Available funds

SURP Fellowships will be awarded on a competitive basis.  Funds will
be awarded directly to the Fellows in the form of stipends.  Requests
can be for less than $3,000 if other funding sources are contributing
to the student's summer stipend.  These funds are not intended to
support such expenditures as the purchase of research-related
materials and supplies.  Requests for such items can be submitted in
response to UROP's regular Spring Call for Proposals.  Students
receiving adequate funding from departmental or other sources can
submit an application for a SURP Honorary Fellowship.

Students are encouraged to attend a SURP Proposal Writing Workshop on
Wednesday, April 25 from 3:00-5:00 PM in Student Services II,
Conference Room 1010A/B.  For more information, faculty and students
may contact the UROP Office; Student Services II, Suite 2300; Zotcode:
5685, by Phone: (949) 824-4189, or E-mail:  urop at uci.edu.

Sincerely,

Said M. Shokair
Director, Undergraduate Research Opportunities Program

--
Black Leaders On Campus (BLOC)
University of California, Irvine

100 Black Women |  Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority, Inc. | Alpha Phi Alpha
Fraternity, Inc. | Black Educated Men (B.E. Men) | Black Law Society (BLS)
| Black Queer Collective (BQC) | Black Student Union (BSU) | Christ Our
Redeemer (COR) | Delta Sigma Theta Sorority, Inc. | El Si Rosa Parks House
| Ethiopian Student Association (ESA) | Kappa Alpha Psi Fraternity, Inc. |
Minority Association of Pre-Health Students (MAPS) | National Society of
Black Engineers (NSBE) | Nigerian Student Association (NSA) | Omega Psi Phi
Fraternity, Inc. | Umoja NewsMagazine