[BGSN] THE 29TH MARTIN LUTHER KING, JR. SYMPOSIUM

Eric Lewis erlewis at uci.edu
Sun Jan 15 22:18:49 PST 2012

Hello Everyone,

If you have free time this week, you may want to attend one or more of
these events.

Cheers,

Eric Lewis

THE 29TH MARTIN LUTHER KING, JR. SYMPOSIUM

"The Struggle for Justice and Liberation"

January 16-19, 2012

ccc.uci.edu/mlk/

We celebrate Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. and his legacy of justice and
liberation. Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. gave us an example of
dedication to the struggle for justice and liberation. This week we
will focus on how we have the responsibility to create a world that he
and others imagined to be possible. We will explore, learn and
celebrate throughout the week how Dr. Martin Luther King’s, Jr. legacy
contributes to our society today.

Monday, January 16, 2012

MLK Jr. Day of Service:

"Make it a day on, not a day off"

9:00-11:00 AM and 2:00PM-4:00PM

UCI will be assembling boxes to package food for the hungry in
remembrance of Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. at the OC Food Bank. This
will help meet the needs of the local community. Anteater Express will
provide transportation. To participate in this service project sign-up
on the CCC MLKJ website or for more opportunities on the MLKJ holiday
contact the CCC.

Tuesday, January 17, 2012

JASON RUSSELL

“STOP AT NOTHING”

7PM @ PACIFIC BALLROOM, STUDENT CENTER

Jason Russell is one of the a co-founders of the media-based nonprofit
organization, Invisible Children, Inc; a San Diego based nonprofit
focused on providing resources and education for those who have been
affected by the criminal acts of the Lords Resistance Army (LRA) in
northern Uganda,Sudan, and the Democratic Republic of Congo. In the
spring of 2003 Russell (24), Bobby Bailey (21) and Laren Poole (19)
traveled to Africa in search of a story. What started out as a
filmmaking adventure transformed into the discovery of a tragedy that
disgusted and inspired them, a tragedy where children are both the
weapons and the victims. After returning to the United States, the
three created a documentary "Invisible Children: Rough Cut", a film
that exposes the tragic realities of northern Uganda’s night commuters
and child soldiers, and from the popularity of the film, Invisible
Children, Inc. was born.

Wednesday, January 18, 2012

RALLY & DIALOGUE

12PM @ FLAGPOLES & RING ROOM, CCC

Join us for the annual Rally as we remember Dr. Martin Luther King,
Jr. The event will begin at the flagpoles and will be followed by a
dialogue in the Ring Room. Students will have an opportunity to talk
about how MLKJ has had an impact on their lives. Lunch will be
provided. Be sure to RSVP on the CCC MLKJ website.

Thursday, January 19, 2012

MLK Jr. VOLUNTEER FAIR:

COMMUNITY ENGAGEMENT & ADVOCACY

11:00AM-2:00PM @ EMERALD BAY, STUDENT CENTER

Come join us in our effort of making a stronger more positive
community on and off-campus. This FREE event is your opportunity to
get connected to community non-profits, campus organizations,
departments, and advocacy groups offering short and long- term
volunteer and internship options.

Facebook Event  http://www.facebook.com/events/271530152900412/

THE DR. JOSEPH L. WHITE LECTURE

FORMER MAYOR WILLIE BROWN

6PM @ CRYSTAL COVE AUD., STUDENT CENTER

Former Speaker of the California Assembly and San Francisco Mayor
Willie Brown is one of America’s most prominent African-American
politicians. Brown will give a lecture relating to his 40 years of
public service and speak, from a civil rights/social justice
perspective, on the current state of our nation and California, the
economy, and what he believes MLKJ might say during a time that our
nation is so divided. Free tickets are available!

Facebook Event  http://www.facebook.com/events/185141154917513/

FOR MORE INFORMATION CHECK OUT THE CCC WEBSITE AT CCC.UCI.EDU/MLK/ OR
CALL 949.824.7215

Co-sponsored by: Asian Pacific Student Association (APSA), Associated
Students at UCI, Black Educated Men (B.E. Men), Black Faculty and
Staff Association (BFSA), Black Student Union (BSU), Center for the
Study of Democracy, Department of Political Science, Division of
Undergraduate Education, Student Life & Leadership,  Student Outreach
and Retention Center (SOAR), Ethiopian Student Association (ESA),
Konnect, Movimiento Estudiantil Chican@ de Aztlan (MEChA), Office of
Equal Opportunity and Diversity, Office of the Executive Vice-
Chancellor Academic Affairs, Office of the Vice Chancellor Student
Affairs, School of Social Sciences