[arthistoryminors] What's up in Art History this week?

Mail list for Art History Minors arthistoryminors at maillists.uci.edu
Tue Oct 31 14:29:25 PDT 2017

Deadlines, Paid Internship, Events, Messages from the Chancellor concerning sexual harassment and violence, confronting extremism, safety tips and resources from UCI PD, and DACA Support

Deadlines: UCDC  Summer Internship Program:  November 6th Application Deadline. Each year, 40-50 undergraduate students are selected to live and intern in Washington, D.C. for 10 weeks during summer. Learn more at: http://www.career.uci.edu/ucdc/application.html<http://email.mail.joinhandshake.com/c/eJxNj11qwzAQhE8jv1Xox5bkBz3EpLlAD2C2K6VSYtlGlvD1a4dQCgsL3-ywM84ag9-miVYwrjkTHWNMM0aVEVxSxYZre9HDpx5axgdDWpYgTvSxxDnA7LYAT09xSU2wzpheGqYd8A4Vqr5nd-kF6B7VvePQTDaUshJ5IeJ2zL7vFCF7n2nFSL2rB6zo8FiwrlNEKHGZaShpIvJWSxq3pWb0RF4TbNt4JvGZCHVKybtY0yH5E78hQloh_swH3vzsxpftddBk-9hKjhjg6PT-3xQrjPr4wrAsU_PX759tjM5yqTqjfgGDvmXN>

Internship (Paid): The Careese Quon UCI Museum W18 Paid Internship: Applications deadline Sunday, November 26th midnight

Work on campus with UCI Museum Registrar Amy Lim. Assist with creating object files, inventory of the UCI art collection, cleaning up data in Embark and other tasks. The intern should be detail oriented, meticulous in gathering information, and comfortable with computer work. $1,000/ 60 hours.

Please submit the following application materials to Professor Cecile Whiting at cwhiting at uci.edu with a copy to Cecilia Flanagan at c.flanagan at uci.edu:

A.      Cover letter (one-page maximum) describing your interest and qualifications.

B. Your unofficial transcript reflecting a combined GPA of 3.0 or higher in art history courses at UCI and/or 3.0 overall GPA

C. Your resume (one-page maximum) including art history courses completed at UCI (you may attach a list of classes separately if needed), any previous internships, and any other relevant work, travel or volunteer experience.

D. Your art history faculty reference(s). You may also submit other references if you think they would be useful to our selection process.

Events:
Thursday, October 2nd at 5 pm: “Aztlan to Magulandia: The Journey of Chicano Artist Gilbert 'Magu' Lujan” Private Tour

[https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/GZeDOAJ9R9dlU5m4U44vWLzng8q9RWIINggbSkVfjxkr27hQ1fRzNXqGkykb-FvMZf5Z8EvIbyKAx_Du79xm5PTBv5pHjQeWwB_uiSe-8TNzFdbcrGgrgf7Kc14sjfjN5Oy8gONk]

Monday, November 6th from 6 - 7:20 PM HG 1800:"Dissolving the Fourth Wall" with Tony Cutler. This lecture examines the artistic device in which one or more individuals depicted within an image regard us, even while we look at it from outside. Already extant in Greek red-figure vase painting, the motif recurs independently in Byzantine, Western Medieval and Italian Renaissance art. Following experiments of this sort in the late 19th century, the heyday of the form comes in the mid-20th century in Magritte’s Not to be Reproduced and Jasper Johns’s Target. Since there can be no question of influence across this huge span of time, some sort of theoretical scrutiny of this perennial motif is called for. Even sophisticated, contemporary videogames, predicated on the aesthetics of mutual observation and the metaphysics of reciprocity remain unhelpful in this respect. Discussion is needed.

Dr. Cutler teaches courses in Late Antique, Early Christian, and Byzantine art. He also teaches graduate courses on theory, iconology, and methods of research. He has taught at Penn State since 1967 and is firmly convinced that the practice of research, leading to publication, is an integral part of teaching.

Friday, November 17 from 7 - 9 PM Emerald Bay ABC, UCI Student Center “The Great Debate”: features students from the UCI Speech and Debate Club. The students will debate two topics:

  *   Title IX: “Should Title IX be changed to ensure due process for those accused of sexual assault?”
  *   Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA): “The DACA program was beneficial to America and shouldn’t have been ended….”

https://www.eventbrite.com/e/daca-and-title-9-debate-speech-and-debate-club-uci-tickets-38891581768

Chancellor announces “Confronting Extremism”: A year-long, campus-wide initiative: The world is changing. In recent years and months, we have seen increasing displays of hate, violence and unrest entrenched in extremism. While it is easy to simply ignore the discord around us, it is vital that we confront extremism head-on with our collective values of tolerance, equity, diversity, inclusion and free speech.
Read more on our facebook page<https://www.facebook.com/ArtHistory.UCI/> and at: http://inclusion.uci.edu/confronting-extremism/

A message from the Chancellor about sexual violence and harassment. See the full text on facebook<https://www.facebook.com/ArtHistory> and visit:
https://chancellor.uci.edu/engagement/campus-communications/2014/141008-New-Sex-Offense-Policy.php

Primary Safety Tips (Social Media)
Sex offenses are increasingly being committed through the use of social media and other electronic tools.

  *   Check your privacy settings frequently, and
  *   before using social media to interact with others in a way that might seem OK (i.e., sharing private photographs of yourself),
  *   consider how someone else might exploit those same tools against you (i.e., further circulating those photographs or using them to blackmail you).

Additional Safety Tips (Social Media)

  *   Keep in mind that even if you set your social network page to private, it doesn’t guarantee that your information is completely private.
  *   Don’t forget your friends may be able to see your other friends’ posts and pages even if they’re not friends with each other.
  *   Be thoughtful about who is on your friend list when you post or link to certain items.
  *   Read the social network’s privacy policy and find out who else has access to your information, such as advertisers, third‐parties, etc.
  *   Make sure you are running anti‐virus and anti‐spyware software and make sure that definitions are updated.
  *   Document any content found online by taking screenshots to capture all images and information posted with it. Also record the URL of the sites. Keep a record of any other harassing or unwanted contact to you or anyone you know. Make sure to save all original emails or messages.
  *
Other Resources:

The UCI Care office provides confidential support and advocacy to students who have experienced sexual assault, relationship abuse and stalking www.care.uci.edu<http://www.care.uci.edu/>. (949) 824-7273
UCI’s policies and support resources for sexual violence: www.sexualviolence.uci.edu<http://www.sexualviolence.uci.edu/>
UCI Green Dot Bystander Intervention Program: www.care.uci.edu/greendot/index.php<http://www.care.uci.edu/greendot/index.php>
Community Service Programs, Inc. (CSP) provides 24-hour crisis and referral services www.cspinc.org. (949) 831-9110: http://www.police.uci.edu/

DACA Support:
Ana Miriam Barragan, Assistant Director DREAM Center
112 Cross-Cultural Center (949) 824-6390
Mobile: (707) 621-2125 Fax: (949)824-8219
ambarrag at uci.edu: http://dreamers.uci.edu<http://dreamers.uci.edu/>
Book an Appointment<https://uci.youcanbook.me/>

Jacqueline T. Dan, Staff Attorney, University of California Immigrant Legal Services Center email: jtdan at uci.edu | Phone: (530) 400-2062
https://uci-immigration-attorney.youcanbook.me<https://uci-immigration-attorney.youcanbook.me/>

A reminder: stay up to the minute on events and news and other stuff: I will endeavor to provide you with a weekly “What’s Up”, but I encourage you to follow us on twitter<https://twitter.com/UCIArtHistory> for the quickest, most succinct way to keep up to date on the many opportunities that we provide. You might also check out our facebook page<https://www.facebook.com/ArtHistory.UCI/>, Art History Undergraduate Association<https://www.facebook.com/uci.ahua/> facebook page (where I also post pretty much everything I email to you), and our Art History website<http://www.humanities.uci.edu/arthistory/> for details about classes we’ll be offering, our faculty, how to contact us, news and events and more.