[arthistoryminors] Good news about the UCI Art History 4 & 1 B.A./M.A.

Mail list for Art History Minors arthistoryminors at uci.edu
Tue Feb 16 07:51:09 PST 2016

Dear All,

I am happy to report that the department’s proposal for a 4 & 1 B.A./M.A. has received approval from the system-wide committee established to review new graduate programs. It does, however, still require a final stamp of approval from UCOP/Janet Napolitano. This may come in May. The concern, of course, is that we may not receive a response until after the end of Spring quarter, which will be after prospective student applicants may have graduated. Since the proposal specifies that only current undergraduate students can apply for the program, however, the Dean’s office does not see an issue with having students gather application materials with the understanding that the possibility exists that the proposal will not be approved in time for a start in Fall 2016. This point is of particular importance for our graduating seniors, a couple of whom have expressed strong interest in the program. I have spoken with the Dean’s office, and even if the approval comes after graduation, we can ask for an exception in order to allow accepted seniors to enroll.  Others, who are not graduating seniors, will be able to apply this Fall.

Please, if you are interested in this new program, make an appointment to speak directly with me or one of the  three undergraduate advisors (Betancourt, Miles, Patel). In point of fact, any one of the faculty members in Art History is available to discuss any concerns or questions you might have about the program.

Attached please find a condensed set of guidelines for both applying to the program and completing the requirements for the degree.

Thank you.

Cécile Whiting
Chair, Department of Art History