[arthistorymajors] What’s Up in Art History this week?

Cecilia Flanagan c.flanagan at uci.edu
Wed Oct 18 12:42:06 PDT 2017

Mandatory Advising, Norton Simon Field Trip this weekend, private tour on campus of “Aztlan to Magulandia”, social media safety tips from UCI Police Chief, new AHUA meeting venue and more

Sign up today for your mandatory meeting Individual Faculty Advising:

Dear Art History Majors:

Our advisors will meet individually with each of you beginning Monday, October 30th to assist you with your academic planning. This meeting is required for all Art History Majors. Please note: a hold is being placed upon your records. You will not be able to enroll for winter classes until you have met with an advisor.
Please stop by the offices of Professors Powell (HG 2220) or Betancourt (HG 2222) within the next few days and make an appointment on the sign-up sheet on each professor’s door (bring or borrow a writing implement).

Advising appointments are available starting Monday, October 30th and will end Friday, November 10th.

Please review your current transcripts and our winter and spring 2018 course offerings prior to the meeting and come prepared with questions and a copy of your study list and unofficial transcript. Course descriptions can be found at:

http://www.humanities.uci.edu/arthistory/courses/courses.php

Your advisor will alert me after you have attended your meeting and I will release the hold. You will then be able to enroll during your Winter 2017 enrollment window, which will begin on or after November 20th.

Cecilia

P.S. Please check out the following links for up-to-date information about a wide range of opportunities, events and more:

http://www.humanities.uci.edu/arthistory/
https://www.facebook.com/uci.ahua/
https://twitter.com/UCIArtHistory
https://www.facebook.com/UCI-Art-History-254529871249639/

AHUA Notifications:
MUSEUM TRIP #2: NORTON SIMON ART MUSEUM
SATURDAY, OCTOBER 21ST @ 9:00AM
Norton Simon Art Museum is in Pasadena, and has a beautiful collection of art.
Important: PLEASE RSVP to me by responding to this email or RSVP via the Facebook group. CALLING ALL DRIVERS! If you have a car and can drive a few fellow AHUA members, please let me know! You will be reimbursed for gas and any parking fees! Lastly, BRING YOUR STUDENT ID, otherwise you will have to pay to get in the museum!

MEETINGS: NEW LOCATION! HG 2200 CONFERENCE ROOM
The location for weekly meetings (Wednesdays at 5:00PM to 6:00PM) are going to change to a new one for the meeting on WEDNESDAY, OCTOBER 25TH. We will now meet in HG 2200 (the big conference room!) But this week is the SAME!

We have such an amazing turn out this year of all you lovely people that we needed a bigger room! Makes me smile! Thank you to those of you who attend and participate in our meetings!

DUES
We play a lot fun games, give out prizes, and do a lot of museum trips. So we are asking for your generous contribution: a ONE TIME FOR THE ENTIRE YEAR fee of $10 (or $15 if you plan on getting a T-Shirt). If you plan on going on MORE THAN TWO MUSEUM TRIPS for this entire year, we ask that you contribute to the dues. Thanks so much for your generosity and interest in our community everyone! The deadline for dues is WEDNESDAY, OCTOBER 25TH. You can either Venmo me at @cheekykathy or bring it to the meeting today/next week's meeting or the museum trip this Saturday!

Aztlan to Magulandia: The Journey of Chicano Artist Gilbert 'Magu' Lujan
THURSDAY, NOVEMBER 2ND @ 5:00PM-6:00PM: UNIVERSITY ART GALLERY (next to the Green Room Cafe [used to be known as The CyberCafe])
We have the special treat of having a private tour with Virgina Arce, the Curatorial Assistant of our very own Claire Trevor School of the Arts. I have been requested to ask for your RSVP if you plan to attend this special tour! Please email me to let me know! I have attached the flyer if you have any questions!

That's all the news for now! Have a great rest of Week 3!

All the best,
Kathy Le
AHUA President
kathytl2 at uci.edu

DACA Support:
Ana Miriam Barragan
Assistant Director
DREAM Center
Office: 112 Cross-Cultural Center
Phone: (949) 824-6390
Mobile: (707) 621-2125
Fax: (949)824-8219
ambarrag at uci.edu
http://dreamers.uci.edu<http://dreamers.uci.edu/>
Book an Appointment<https://uci.youcanbook.me/>

Jacqueline T. Dan, Staff Attorney
University of California Immigrant Legal Services Center
Email: jtdan at uci.edu | Phone: (530) 400-2062
https://uci-immigration-attorney.youcanbook.me<https://uci-immigration-attorney.youcanbook.me/>

Primary Safety Tips (Social Media)
Sex offenses are increasingly being committed through the use of social media and other electronic tools. Check your privacy settings frequently, and before using social media to interact with others in a way that might seem OK (i.e., sharing private photographs of yourself), consider how someone else might exploit those same tools against you (i.e., further circulating those photographs or using them to blackmail you).

Additional Safety Tips (Social Media)
Keep in mind that even if you set your social network page to private, it doesn’t guarantee that your information is completely private.
Don’t forget that your friends may be able to see your other friends’ posts and pages even if they’re not friends with each other.
Be thoughtful about who is on your friend list when you post or link to certain items.
Read the social network’s privacy policy and find out who else has access to your information, such as advertisers, third‐parties, etc.
Make sure you are running anti‐virus and anti‐spyware software and make sure that definitions are updated.
Document any content found online by taking screenshots to capture all images and information posted with it. Also record the URL of the sites. Keep a record of any other harassing or unwanted contact to you or anyone you know. Make sure to save all original emails or messages.

Resources:
The UCI Care office provides confidential support and advocacy to students who have experienced sexual assault, relationship abuse and stalking www.care.uci.edu.
(949) 824-7273
UCI’s policies and support resources for sexual violence www.sexualviolence.uci.edu
UCI Green Dot Bystander Intervention Program www.care.uci.edu/greendot/index.php.

Community Service Programs, Inc. (CSP) is available to provide 24-hour crisis and referral services www.cspinc.org. (949) 831-9110
http://www.police.uci.edu/

    A reminder help you stay up to the minute on events and news and other stuff: I will endeavor to provide you with a weekly “What’s Up”, but I encourage you to follow us on twitter<https://twitter.com/UCIArtHistory> for the quickest, most succinct way to keep up to date on the many opportunities that we provide. You might also check out our facebook page<https://www.facebook.com/ArtHistory.UCI/>, Art History Undergraduate Association<https://www.facebook.com/uci.ahua/> facebook page (where I also post pretty much everything I email to you), and our Art History website<http://www.humanities.uci.edu/arthistory/> where you can find details about classes we’ll be offering, our faculty, how to contact us, and more.