[arthistorymajors] A message from Professor Lyle Massey

Cecilia Flanagan flanagac at uci.edu
Wed Aug 26 10:07:17 PDT 2015

Dear AH Undergrads,

We never think, as art historians, that our lives are in danger simply
because we want to study artifacts and cultural sites from ancient
civilizations. And yet, very recently, an 82 year old archaeologist in
Syria, Khaled al-Asaad, was assassinated by ISIS at the site of ancient
Palmyra, because he refused to divulge the whereabouts of works of art.
These extremists want to publicly destroy ancient artifacts on the one
hand, while on the other they want to sell antiquities on the black
market to raise funds. Khaled heroically resisted and paid with his life.
http://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/aug/19/khaled-al-asaad-profile-syria-isis-howard-carter-palmyra-archaeology

In FQ I am teaching a 198 course titled "Art Under Attack" (Weds.
3-5:50). In this course we will explore the increasingly fragile
existence of cultural sites and artifacts in the most politically and
economically troubled parts of the world. Course discussions will focus
on the ongoing historical, political, religious, cultural and legal
issues that circulate around endangered artistic and architectural
sites. In addition, however, we will also construct a website that
provides information on the most threatened cultural sites in the world.
This will be an art history course that grapples with real world
problems and looks at the way that debates over culture interact with
and inform disputes over politics and religion. Come join us if you are
interested in using your knowledge of art history to help address some
of the world's most disturbing and intractable problems.

Lyle Massey
Associate Professor
Art History and Visual Studies