[arthistorymajors] English Teaching Job in Japan for graduates. Deadline is December 1; apply now!

Cecilia Flanagan flanagac at uci.edu
Wed Nov 26 07:19:09 PST 2014

From: Bert Winther-Tamaki [mailto:dewinthe at uci.edu]
Sent: Wednesday, November 26, 2014 7:11 AM
To: Cecilia Flanagan
Subject: APPLY: English Teaching Job in Japan

Please forward to AH majors!

From: Lisa VyVy Nguyen <lvvndr at gmail.com<mailto:lvvndr at gmail.com>>
Subject: Mito AET (Assistant English Teacher) Program Application Info for April 2015-2016
Date: November 24, 2014 8:40:14 PM PST

Hello to all my former professors and East Asian department faculty,

My name is Lisa Nguyen, a Japanese/Art History 2013 UCI alumni,
currently living in Japan and working for the city of Mito as an AET
or Assistant English Teacher. I was hoping you can forward this email
to students just in case anyone is interested.

My program is in the process of hiring for next year and I wanted to
inform any interested students about it! The city of Mito, Japan have
a sister-city relationship with Anaheim, California and Oklahoma
Christian University so they recruit English teachers from these areas
to come to Japan for at least a year. Currently, there are 39 teachers
employed here and there are 3 other UCI alumni in this program and a
few from CSUF as well as other parts of California so I am hoping to
spread the word for more Californians to join the team! You do not
have to live in California to apply, so please let any interested
person know this information.

The deadline to apply is December 1st but if necessary they are
willing to extend to January... I understand that the original
deadline is very short notice to request recommendation letters so
please directly contact the Anaheim recruiter, Henri Soucy, at
henrisoucy at gmail.com<mailto:henrisoucy at gmail.com> and notify him of your intent to apply and any
concerns you have with paperwork as soon as possible so he can help
you with the process.

Job title: Assistant English Teacher in junior high school,
elementary, and/or kindergartens/nurseries. (Teaching experience and
TEFL certification not required)
Must be a native English speaker. (Japanese language fluency not required)

Contract year: April 1, 2015 - March 31, 2016 (***MUST HAVE GRADUATED
so this is for students who will finish their bachelors by the end of
fall or winter quarter)

Salary: 280,000 Yen monthly (minus health insurance, social security,
pension, and taxes however US citizens exempted from taxes in the
first 2 years)
Benefits: Plane tickets are reimbursed coming to Japan and back home
when your contract ends. Housing is allocated and paid half monthly by
the city (also given a small moving bonus to help with furnishing).

More info on the website: http://www.mitoaetprogram.com
Please read everything in the attached application form for important
requirements and documents needed in the application process.

(Side note: The application says no tattoos allowed but I have tattoos
and so do many other AETs so please don't let that deter you from
applying. As a personal tip though, I would personally not let it be
known by the recruiter or employer, if hired, that you have tattoos.
It is still socially taboo here so many places where you expose skin
such as bathhouses or gyms will not allow it but for the most part as
long as it is not visible during work hours, it is not major issue.)

Please feel free to contact me at this email, LVVNDR at GMAIL.COM<mailto:LVVNDR at GMAIL.COM>, for
any questions!!! So please apply, I believe there will be 8-10
positions available for California. I am hoping more UCI students will
take that advantage of available positions and become a part of our
little family :)

Sincerely,
Lisa Nguyen