[arthistorymajors] Fun and rewarding community service opportunity. Please read asap!

Cecilia Flanagan flanagac at uci.edu
Wed Nov 13 12:57:31 PST 2013

Hello Art History Majors! Estancia High School has invited us to hold a
college application workshop for their juniors and seniors *this Friday,
November 15th from 11:35 AM to 12:05 PM and again on December 6, from
11:35 AM to 12:05 PM*. This is an exciting opportunity to give back to
the community and to share our knowledge and experience with others!
This event is mandatory for the high school students, since it is during
their lunchtime, so please come out if you have the time!

This Friday's workshop will be more for the seniors, since the deadline
to submit applications is at the end of the month. We will give the
students an overview of the college application process, but we will
also be sharing our college experiences to help the seniors decide where
they want to go!

Please select a topic to research or choose to focus on one of the
categories listed below you know about and feel comfortable addressing
at the workshop. Please have a general idea of how to address the
topics, but we will have a power point at the workshop which will
address the main points of each topic.

The topics to choose from are:

1. The Common App

2. The UC App

3. The CSU APP

4. Choosing where to apply (cost, location, etc)

5. Early acceptance v regular acceptance

6. The personal statement

7. Letters of Recommendation (when and how to ask, where/how to send it)

8. Collegeboard

9. ACT

10. SAT

11. Transcripts

12. FAFSA

13. Financial Aid

14. Scholarships

15. Resources

Please contact Karen Cody at codyka at uci.edu <mailto:codyka at uci.edu> if
you need a ride or have a car and have room for volunteers.We hope to
see you there!