[arthistorymajors] Call for Applications: The William J. Gillespie Foundation 2013 Summer Internship at the UCI Department of Art History

Cecilia Flanagan flanagac at uci.edu
Mon May 13 10:21:44 PDT 2013

Dear Art History Majors:

We are pleased to announce The UCI Friends of Art History ("FOAH") has
received a significant gift from the William J. Gillespie Foundation in
support of our ongoing efforts to provide internship/career
opportunities and support to our Art History majors.Please join me in
thanking Director of the William J. Gillespie Foundation and Corona Del
Mar high school AP Art History teacher, John Gunnin, for his
instrumental role in providing our students this great opportunity.

*/We invite you to apply for the 2013 William J. Gillespie Summer
Internship by submitting an application to the Department of Art History
prior to the May 22^nd deadline/**/./***This internship will allow the
intern to work directly with staff to develop practical, career-related
skills. The intern will be exposed to daily higher education operations
and participate in the ongoing work of staff, completing specific
projects or portions of larger departmental initiatives. Details about
how and what to submit, as well as a job description, follow.

****

  Applicants must meet these selection criteria:

·Be enrolled as an undergraduate junior, senior, or equivalent, and
declared as an Art History major at UCI, or an Art History major who
graduated between Summer 2012 and Summer 2013;

  * Be attentive to detail and comfortably familiar with productivity
    and design software (specifically, Photoshop, Excel, and Word);
  * Possess demonstrated research and writing skills;
  * Be available to work on Mondays and Tuesdays.

A 2-4 page final summary report is required upon completion of the
internship, which will be shared in whole or in part with your sponsor,
The William Gillespie Foundation.

**

*Term:* Part-time, a total of 65 hours, summer only. Available dates are
July 1 through September 27, 2012.Specific dates are to be negotiated
but note: it is essential to work the last week of summer before classes
start to assist faculty with materials preparation for fall classes.

*Application Deadline: *May 22, 2012 at 9am.

*Stipend: *$1,000 for the full term.

**

*To apply, please submit _a resume with a letter of interest_ via email to:
*

**

Cecilia Flanagan, Undergraduate Coordinator
Department of Art History
2000 Humanities Gateway
University of California, Irvine, CA 92697-2785
*Phone:             (949) 824-5386*

*E-mail: **c.flanagan at uci.edu* <mailto:c.flanagan at uci.edu>

*Website: **http://www.hnet.uci.edu/arthistory/*

  Job Description:

Under direction of UG Coordinator:

Interview and write profiles for newsletter.

Create 2013-14 FOAH newsletter.

Edit newsletter articles provided by contributors.

Update posters for 2013-14.

Organize and store FOAH and Department Photos in digital archive.

10 hours scanning at end of summer.

Work with UG Coordinator to:

Review AH website and social media from student perspective, make
recommendations for improvement, and assist coordinator in implementing
approved changes.

Make scholarships, grants and website resources on WS more accessible,
useful, and up to date.

Analyze and improve accessibility and effectiveness of Splash pages.

Develop plan to increase engagement of majors in department-sponsored
activities and increase number of students in the major.

Brainstorm and create internship plan blueprint for subsequent
implementation.

Complete grant proposal to fund internship plan development.

Interface with AHUA in planning school year activities and providing
support as needed.