[arthistorymajors] An invitation to join us in January 2014 at the Japanese Arts and Globalizations Conference at UCI

Cecilia Flanagan flanagac at uci.edu
Wed Dec 18 11:52:30 PST 2013

Please mark your calendars and plan to join us beginning on Friday,
January 31^st at UCI for the Japanese Art and Globalizations
Conference.We have planned two full days of activities for our
participants, who will be joining us from around the globe. A detailed
schedule will follow in early January.

Happy holidays to you all!We look forward to seeing you in the New Year.

Professor and Chair Bert Winther-Tamaki

_Keynote speakers: _

HAYASHI MICHIO (Art History, Sophia University, Tokyo): /(de-)Mapping
the Nation : Cartographic Imaginations of Postwar Japanese Art/

OKAZAKI KENJIRÔ (Artist, Writer, Tokyo): /Two Short But True Stories
About Modern Japanese Art /

BENJAMIN PIEKUT, Cornell University: Ecologies of the Rim: The Promise
and Peril of Actor-Networks in History

GENNIFER WEISENFELD (Art, Art History, Visual Studies, Duke
University):/Transwar Design: Kamekura //Yu-saku//from Nippon
//Ko-bo-//to the Tokyo Olympics/

_Presenters: _

EUGENIA BOGDANOVA-KUMMER (Japanese Art History, Heidelberg
University):/The Concept of Space in Japanese Postwar Avant-Garde
Calligraphy: An Innovative Interpretation of the Bokujinkai Group /

JONATHAN HALL (Media Studies, Pomona College):/Over Mishima's Dead
Body:Hosoe Eikoh and Yato /

SHARON HAYASHI (Department of Film, York University, Toronto):/Mapping
Heterotopia: Port B's Media Archaeology of Asia in Tokyo /

MARGUERITE HODGE (Art History, Theory, Criticism, UCSD): /The
Transnational Adventures of the Kewpie /

ANN-ELISE LEWALLEN (East Asian Languages and Cultural Studies,
UCSB):/"Indigenous Modernity," Global Indigenous Art, and Contemporary
Ainu in the Museum/

TOM O'LEARY (Art History, Saddleback College):/Natori Yo-nosuke, Ina
Nobuo, and Ho-do- Shashin; Defining Documentary in 20^th Century
Japanese /__

TRAVIS SELFMAN (History, UCSB):/New Views of Ryukyu: Yamamoto Hôsui in
Okinawa, 1887 /////

MIRIAM WATTLES (History of Art & Archr., UCSB): /The History within:
Manga as a People's Art vs. the Freedom of Caricature /

//

__