[arthistorymajors] A gift from me to help you answer that vexing question!

Cecilia Flanagan flanagac at uci.edu
Mon Dec 16 15:25:26 PST 2013

Dear Art History majors:

We thought it would be useful, as you head off to your respective
holiday dinners with judging relatives who ask you, "Why would you study
art history?", to have a ready answer you can hand them, courtesy of
first place essay winner, Michelle Maasz.  I am copying you on the full
text of the email that went to our Friends of Art History to remind you
about all the other great goings-on in your department and encourage you
to get on top of things in the new year so you don't miss a single
awesome opportunity as an Art History major at UC Irvine.

Happy holidays and see you in 2014!

Cecilia

Dear Friends of Art History:

Here, as promised, is the first place essay for your reading
pleasure.The second place essay will be sent to you in January, followed
by the third place essay in February. As a reminder, we invited our
undergraduate majors to explain in 1,000 words or less why they would
encourage their fellow anteaters to consider majoring in Art History.
The essays were judged by a panel comprised of LaVonne Smith, Gordon
McAlpine and myself; and three students received FOAH awards!

Before you begin reading, please take a moment to accept our gratitude
for your support these past two years, during which we have provided a
total of thirteen paid internships and grants for students taking unpaid
internships!These internships are invaluable to our UCI Art History
students and we are so proud of the enthusiasm and energy they bring to
our program!

We recently awarded three students Winter Quarter 2014 on-campus
research internships.Alex Garcia will be working with Professor Jamie
Nisbet on several projects, including Ant Farm’s Cadillac Ranch and the
late sphere sculptures of Walter de Maria in Japan, France, and Germany.
She will also assist him in planning an exhibition of the art of Allen
Atwell, a largely-forgotten but influential 1960’s psychedelic
artist.Golzar Yousefi will be working with Professor Alka Patel,
researching India-Iran connections through time.

Please look for an invitation in your email inbox tomorrow or Wednesday,
designed by Michelle Maasz, our first-place essayist and research-intern
for Chair and Professor Bert Winther-Tamaki for the Japanese Arts and
Globalizations (JAG) UC multi-campus conference to be held here at UCI
January 31-February 1, 2014 , at which we hope to see you.

We wish you the happiest of holidays and look forward to seeing you in
the New Year.

Cécile

P.S.If you wish to make an additional donation to our program before
year-end, or become a member, please visit:
http://www.humanities.uci.edu/arthistory/friends/join.php for
instructions or contact Cecilia at 949-824-5386 or c.flanagan at uci.edu.

*/And now:Why Art History?The winning essay, written by Michelle Maasz:/*

/“Seriously, it’s such a versatile design! When viewed from the south,
the entire ridged façade just disappears! Now that we’re east of it, it
seems to morph into…”/

//

/My detailed explanation of Costa Mesa’s Center Tower was interrupted by
my co-worker passing me the fries. “You are the most observant girl I
have EVER met,” she said incredulously. “I’ve worked here for four years
and *never* gave that building a second thought.”/

//

/I know engaging in a formal analysis of a random office building isn’t
normal lunchtime conversation.This wasn’t the first time I’d encountered
this reaction to my penchant for interpreting visual cues of the world
around me. I suppose not everyone intuitively deconstructs the design
details of buildings, paintings, advertisements, films, and everyday
objects; but, for those of us who engage in visual analysis, daily life
is a rich and engaging experience. /

//

/My studies in art history have changed the way I think, enhanced my
appreciation for other cultures (both ancient and contemporary) and
transformed my perception of the world. I am sure those who have taken
an art history course will confirm my contention that the analysis,
research, and practice inherent to this discipline bolster one’s
critical thinking abilities. Art history is like studying anthropology,
sociology, history and more “inside out.” Considering the various
implications of an aesthetic object prompts the realization that any
given artifact encapsulates the history, mindset, social and cultural
practices, and personality of its creator and era. Each object is a
microcosmic embodiment of a macrocosm of information. /

//

/I could wax on about the particulars of why I am passionate about art
history, but I suspect many readers would space out and dismiss my
accolades. Let’s consider instead the practical reasons why YOU, or any
other fellow anteater, should be interested in taking an art history
course. Granted, we all need to knock GE Category IV out of the way, but
allow me to share my *Top Five Reasons to Study Art History at UC Irvine.*^/

//

/1) *Change the way you think.*/

/Art historical inquiry sparks individual interpretation. My art history
professors challenge students to explore their own personal reactions
and impressions of a piece of art before launching into concrete
historical analysis. This approach engages students in an authentic way
by providing the opportunity to synthesize one’s visceral reaction and
inherent intuition with preexisting scholarship about the topic.
*LEARNING* is encouraged over brute memorization. Art history classes
are formatted differently than the hard sciences (and even other
humanities courses) and are genuinely thought-provoking and interesting./

//

/2) *Build rapport with a faculty member*. /

/UC Irvine’s art history professors are truly committed to their
students, and passionate about their individual areas of expertise. They
teach classes that align with their own areas of research, and their
enthusiasm is contagious. I never imagined I would be interested in
pre-modern Mediterranean art but, a few weeks into the quarter, my
professor’s zeal for the material sparked the interest of every student
in the class.
/

//

/Upper-division art history classes are typically small and provide a
great opportunity to get to know the professor personally. Art history
students have access to their professors, who know them by name and are
genuinely interested in contributing to their success. I feel very
fortunate to have had such great professors over the last three years!/

//

/3) *Connect to a culturally active community.* /

/There are many opportunities to connect with peers, alumni, and other
arts supporters and leaders as an art history major (or minor). The
students who run the Art History Undergraduate Association (“AHUA”)
provide behind-the-scenes museum tours, small workshops geared towards
art history majors’ interests (like study abroad and post-grad career
planning), and a variety of rewarding community service opportunities
(like mentoring elementary school kids and helping high school students
with the college application process).They host an open gallery art show
bringing students, faculty, alumni and community artists and patrons
together annually. AHUA gives undergrads opportunities to practice
skills that will directly translate into their future careers, like
writing grant proposals, curating art shows, and organizing special
events. AHUA isn’t restricted to art history majors; all UCI
undergraduates are welcome to join. This creates multiple opportunities
for students interested in the arts to meet and engage in fun and
interesting activities together.
/

//

/Art History majors benefit from the Friends of Art History (“FOAH”), an
organization made up of community members and leaders, alumni, faculty,
and staff. FOAH provides *paid* on-campus internships with faculty and
staff, grants for otherwise unpaid internships, and a community/alumni
network for art history enthusiasts beyond graduation. Students taking
these internships develop and refine many skills including critical,
creative, and analytical thinking, problem-solving, verbal and written
communications, research, and collaboration.I can personally attest to
FOAH’s generosity, and am grateful for the community and alumni support
I have received while being a student at UCI./

//

/4) *Develop vital creative thinking skills to set you apart from other
job and grad school applicants.* /

/People sometimes think art history is a limiting major that can only be
applied in a niche field. However, most of us aren’t going to be museum
curators. Employers, more and more, seek applicants who can think
outside of the box and solve problems creatively. The skills art history
majors gain as undergraduates will serve them well in a variety of
fields. My peers are aspiring teachers, lawyers, artists, doctors,
journalists, business owners, and academics. I am personally pursuing a
career in performing arts administration. I have honed my writing
skills, attention to detail, cultural awareness, and fastidiousness
during my years of studying art history and I know these skills will
benefit me as I progress in my career./

//

/5) *Enjoyment*. /

/Art enhances our human experience. We all need to spend more time
around it. If you’re dragging your feet to your required classes, I
recommend adding at least one class you can truly enjoy, and make it art
history. Take a class that aligns with your extracurricular interests;
maybe something like L.A. Street Graffiti, Impressionist paintings, or
Asian-American art. Whatever it may be, the students in these classes
*want* to be there, and will share your enthusiasm for the topic. I’ve
met plenty of Bio majors who take art history classes because they truly
enjoy them. The positive energy in an art history class can lift your
spirits and reignite your desire to learn, which is, really, why we all
came to UCI in the first place. /

//

/If you’d like to be challenged in your thinking, get to know and learn
from awesome professors, become a part of a cultured community, set
yourself apart from other job applicants, and/or take an interesting and
engaging class outside of your area of expertise, I have an idea for
you. Study art history! /

//

/

/