[arthistorymajors] Summer Session II course: ART HISTORY 140C

Cecilia Flanagan flanagac at uci.edu
Mon Jun 25 13:34:18 PDT 2012

Hi AH students,

Check out my Video Art and Activism course that I will be teaching this
Summer Session II.  If you're interested, please enroll today!

Best,
Kristen Galvin

Video Art&  Activism
ART HISTORY 140C ( 4 units )
Summer Session II
TuTh 1:00 - 3:50pm, Donald Bren Hall (Computer Science III) 1200
Instructor: Kristen Galvin

This course is a historical overview of experimental and independent
video production, mostly  occurring within the United States, from its
early development in the 1960s and 1970s through the present day. As an
introductory survey to video, the class will explore a diverse range of
video practices, along with their multiple critical and theoretical
histories. Video art will be contextualized in terms of art world
institutional support structures, as well as in relation to broader
moving image histories. We will also specifically look at how video has
been characterized as a means of self and community expression,
exploring how video has been wielded as a tool for aesthetic
experimentation, activist agendas, and identity politics. As video has
often been coupled with live performance, large-scale installation,
television broadcast, and more recently with Web-based projects, the
course will also evaluate the multiple and varied presentational formats
of video art and activism. The course will include readings in the
foundational texts of video art, as well as media history and theory. We
will have weekly in-class screenings of a variety of video works,
including (but not limited to) performance art, public access
programming, experimental narratives and documentaries, animation, and
video remix.