[arthistorymajors] Professor Whiting to Speak in Langson Library Room 570 on February 8!

Cecilia Flanagan flanagac at uci.edu
Wed Jan 18 14:50:52 PST 2012

The UC Irvine Libraries Dept. of Special Collections and Archives
invites you to a special lecture in support of our current exhibit,
Sixteen Books by Ed Ruscha
<http://sites.uci.edu/ucisca/2011/10/12/sixteen-books-by-ed-ruscha-new-exhibit-in-special-collections-archives/>:

"Reading Los Angeles With Ed Ruscha"
A lecture by Cécile Whiting, UCI Professor and Chair, Art History,
School of Humanities.
Wednesday, February 8, noon-1pm
Langson Library Room 570 (5th floor)

Professor Whiting will give a presentation on the early books of Los
Angeles artist Ed Ruscha. Cécile Whiting (Ph.D. Art History, Stanford)
has published and lectured extensively on art in Southern California in
the post-war period. Her book /Pop L.A.: Art and the City in the 1960s/
(U.C. Press, 2006) was awarded the 21st Eldredge Prize for outstanding
scholarship in the field of American Art.

Following the lecture, Steve MacLeod, Public Services Librarian in
Special Collections and Archives, will briefly show other examples from
the Libraries' Artists' Books collection
<http://special.lib.uci.edu/collections/artists-books/>.

We encourage you to come early to explore the exhibit before the
lecture, which is located just outside of Special Collections and
Archives on the fifth floor of Langson. The exhibit area is open
Monday-Friday, 8am-5pm through March 16.

For additional information contact: Steve MacLeod, smacleod at uci.edu
<mailto:smacleod at uci.edu>,  (949) 824-4967.