[arthistorymajors] FW: Master of Fine Arts (MFA) at Florida State University

Roberta Geier rjgeier at uci.edu
Thu Dec 16 13:32:22 PST 2010

From: Carolyn Henne [mailto:chenne at fsu.edu]
Sent: Thursday, December 16, 2010 6:25 AM
To: Carolyn Henne
Subject: Master of Fine Arts (MFA) at Florida State University

  <http://owenmundy.com/docs/fsu/MFA_2010/images/marnie.png>

Call for Applications:
Master of Fine Arts (MFA)
at Florida State University
Application deadline: February 1, 2011

School of Art  <http://www.fsu.edu/~art/> & Design
Florida State University
Room 220 FAB
530 W Call St.
Tallahassee FL 32306

Information for applicants <http://www.fsu.edu/~art/media/MFA11.pdf>

The Florida State University Master of Fine Arts (MFA) program
<http://fsu.edu/~art/pages/programs/graduate/>  is fully immersed in an
interdisciplinary, research-centered environment. We offer outstanding,
dedicated faculty <http://www.fsu.edu/~art/pages/people/faculty/>  and a
rigorous curriculum <http://fsu.edu/~art/pages/programs/graduate/> . Our
primary concern is contemporary art and the practice, history and theories
that inform it.

.        The Master of Fine Arts (MFA) is a three-year residency program.

.        Currently every MFA student receives an assistantship with tuition
waiver and stipend.

.        Our graduate students are consistently selected for the prestigious
University Fellowship
<http://www.music.fsu.edu/Admissions/Financial-Matters/Graduate-Opportunitie
s/University-and-Presidential-Fellowships> .

.        Our graduate students have their own organization, League of
Graduate Artists <http://lga.art.fsu.edu/exhibitions.html>  (LGA)

.        All MFA students have individual studios in a spacious 13,000 sq.
ft. warehouse with 2 installations rooms, wood, metal, ceramics, computer
labs, common spaces and a mediated graduate seminar room.

.        Our program has a dedicated off-campus, MFA exhibition space,
Working Method Contemporary, which is managed by the LGA.

.        FSU's Art Department recently acquired the new 27,000 sq. ft.
interdisciplinary Facility for Arts Research (FAR) incorporating a range of
digitally driven tools for art-making including the formLab
<http://formlab.art.fsu.edu>  and Small Craft Advisory Press
<http://smallcraftadvisorypress.art.fsu.edu>  (SCAP)

.        We have a dynamic and active faculty who are nationally recognized
as well as an outstanding visiting artist program with recent visits from
Matthew Coolidge (CLUI), Brian Alfred, Julie Heffernan, Willie Cole,
Elizabeth Condon, and Michael Rakowitz.

.        MFA students who wish to teach are trained in an intensive Teaching
Pedagogy course and given support to teach introductory courses.

.        Graduate students participate in annual trips to Miami Art Basel
<http://www.artbaselmiamibeach.com/>  and other faculty-led trips including
New York, Atlanta and London.

.        Florida State University, a Class I Research Institution located in
Florida's capital city.

  <http://owenmundy.com/docs/fsu/MFA_2010/images/tryptich.png>

We encourage you to visit our campus. Please direct questions to the
Department of Art at 850-644-8252 or email Holly Hanessian, Graduate Program
Director at hhanessian at fsu.edu

  <http://owenmundy.com/docs/fsu/MFA_2010/images/logo.png>

Carolyn Henne

Visiting Professor and Associate Dean

The College of Visual Arts, Theatre and Dance

Florida State University

326 Fine Arts Building

Tallahassee, Florida  32306

850-644-8254