[UCI-Calit2] Optimal Linear Precoding-Nov. 29

Anna Lynn Spitzer aspitzer at calit2.uci.edu
Tue Nov 27 08:05:37 PST 2012

Optimal Linear Precoding for Finite Alphabet Signaling in Wireless
Systems and Networks

Speaker:            Prof. Chengshan Xiao

Time:                 11 a.m.- noon

Date:                 Thursday, Nov. 29, 2012

Location:           Engineering Hall, Room 2430 (Harut Barsamian
Colloquia)

ABSTRACT

Finite alphabet signaling refers to commonly used discrete-constellation
modulations in practical communication systems, such as PAM, PSK or QAM.
In this talk, we will target how to increase data rate or throughput via
linear precoding in wireless systems and networks such as multiple-input
multiple-output (MIMO) systems, multiple access channels, broadcast
channels, wiretap channels and cognitive radio networks. We will present
backgrounds, theoretical results, hardware implementation and
experimental results for maximizing the mutual information-based
achievable data rate or throughput. Our results demonstrate that
precoding for finite alphabet signaling can be radically different from
the precoding (or power allocation) for Gaussian signaling. Our examples
show that the finite-alphabet signaling-based approach provides not only
higher achievable data rates but also lower coded bit error rates than
the approaches that design the precoder with Gaussian input assumption.
Further research topics will be discussed in this talk as well.

SPEAKER'S BIOGRAPHY

Chengshan Xiao is a professor of electrical and computer engineering at
Missouri University of Science and Technology in Rolla, Missouri.

His research interests include wireless communications, signal
processing and underwater acoustic communications. He holds three U.S.
patents, and his algorithms were implemented in Nortel's base station
radios after successful field trials and network integration.

Xiao is an IEEE Fellow and the Editor-in-Chief of IEEE Transactions on
Wireless Communications. He is also a member of the Fellow Evaluation
Committee, a member of the Board of Governors, and a distinguished
lecturer of the IEEE Communications Society.