[UCI-Calit2] UCI Visitor Dr.Waleed Abdalati, Chief Scientist, NASA - Thursday, 11/1/12

Anna Lynn Spitzer aspitzer at calit2.uci.edu
Wed Oct 31 13:45:15 PDT 2012

   Office of Research title
bar<http://research.uci.edu/fr/OR-Titlebar.jpg>

Presenting:
Dr. Waleed Abdalati
Chief Scientist, NASA

 Waleed Abdalati<http://research.uci.edu/images/abdalati_2.jpg>

Thursday, November 1, 2012

Time:

1:30 P.M.

Location:

McDonnell Douglas Auditorium
University of California, Irvine

Title:

Perspectives on a changing planet: The role of space in shaping and
informing our views of the world

Abstract:

With the 1968 "Earthrise" image of planet Earth
<http://www.nasa.gov/multimedia/imagegallery/image_feature_1335.html>
emerging from beyond the lunar horizon, society's view of our celestial
home was changed forever. Beautiful and vulnerable, and suspended in
dark stillness, this image inspired an appreciation that we are one
human race, whose fate hinges delicately on our collective actions.
Since that time, space- based observations of the Earth have continued
to provide essential insights and information across the full spectrum
of natural processes and human activities, and have even become a
mainstream part of our daily lives. From documenting disappearing Arctic
ice cover, to providing key insights to hurricane evolution, to tracking
the amount of movement and cycles of Earth's biomass, these observations
allow us to understand how and why our world is changing, and what these
changes mean for life on Earth. This presentation will focus on! the
tremendous power of the space-based perspective in science, exploration,
and our daily lives, and the role that this information can play in
positioning civilization for success in the face of a changing
environment.

RSVP:

Not Required

________________________________

About the speaker:

Waleed Abdalati
Dr. Waleed Abdalati was appointed NASA chief scientist in January 2011,
and serves as the principal advisor to NASA Administrator Charles Bolden
on agency science programs, strategic planning, and the evaluation of
related investments. This appointment marks a return to NASA for Dr.
Abdalati, where he worked in the field of Earth science from 1996-2008.
His research has focused on the use of satellites and aircraft to
understand how and why Earth's ice cover is changing, and what those
changes mean for life on our planet. He is currently on leave from the
University of Colorado, where he has served as the director of the Earth
Science and Observation Center in the Cooperative Institute for Research
in Environmental Sciences since 2008.

Dr. Adalati's full-length biography is available at:
http://www.nasa.gov/about/highlights/abdalati_bio.html

 decorative bar<http://research.uci.edu/fr/rainbowbar.jpg>

UC Irvine Office of Research * (949) 824-5796 * http://research.uci.edu
<http://research.uci.edu> * 160 Aldrich Hall, Irvine, CA 92697-3175