[UCI-Calit2] Rebooting Sustainable Development -- tonight

Anna Lynn Spitzer aspitzer at calit2.uci.edu
Tue Feb 9 09:25:37 PST 2010

CUSA (UCI’s Center for Unconventional Security Affairs) presents the 2010 Sustainability Seminar Series to help foster dialogue between social and natural scientists on the challenges of sustainability in the 21st century. A select group of scholars, researchers, experts and business leaders will present a variety of perspectives on choices and challenges related to sustainability.

Tonight:       Mark Halle, International Institute for Sustainable Development (Geneva)

Title:             Rebooting Sustainable Development: Why It Hasn’t Worked and What to Do About It

Time:             7- 8:30 p.m.

Location:        Calit2 Auditorium

Abstract:         The notion of sustainable development was launched two decades ago and quickly attracted a broad following worldwide. It appeared to offer a means to organize economic development in a way that would address the challenges of poverty and social exclusion while ensuring the health of the planet that sustains us, and a great deal of energy and enthusiasm has been invested in it. Despite that, the enterprise has been a failure. Any sober assessment of trends over the past quarter century must conclude not only that we have failed but that we have failed spectacularly. We have made a series of assumptions about our societies, our leaders and our international processes that have proved mistaken. And yet sustainable development remains the only acceptable future for humankind. If we are to reach it, or even advance significantly towards it, we will have to change our approach sharply. We will have to take steps to ensure that economic policy - like trade, invest!
 ment, tax or subsidy policy - offers strong incentives to behave in ways that support sustainability. We will have to change the approach to international consensus‐building. And we will have to accept that sustainability will require not an adaptive set of changes but instead that change will have to be transformative. The combination of the economic crisis and a series of looming environmental crises now make it imperative that we not fail in this endeavor.

Next week:   Richard Matthew, CUSA director and associate professor of planning, policy and design

Title:             Ethics and Sustainability

Time:            7- 8:30 p.m.