[UCI-Calit2] Networked Systems Seminar

Anna Lynn Spitzer aspitzer at calit2.uci.edu
Tue Oct 27 12:24:14 PDT 2009

Networked Systems Seminar

Title:                            Opportunistic Routing in Wireless
Networks with Congestion Diversity

Date:                           Friday, Oct. 30, 2009

Time:                           11a.m. - noon, refreshments at 10:45
a.m.

Location:                     Donald Bren Hall, Room 3011

Speaker:                      Prof. Tara Javidi, Department of
Electrical and Computer Engineering, UC San Diego

Abstract:

Opportunistic routing for multi-hop wireless networks has seen recent
research interest to overcome deficiencies of traditional routing.
First, we, briefly, cast opportunistic routing as a Markov decision
problem (MDP) and introduce a stochastic variant of distributed
bellman-ford which provides a unifying framework for various versions of
opportunistic routing such as SDF, GeRaF, and EXOR.

In the second part of the talk, we touch upon the issue of congestion
and throughput optimality by contrasting the opportunistic MDP-based
schemes with back-pressure schemes. We propose a modification of the MDP
framework to arrive at a throughput-optimal policy, aka ORCD, that
exhibits significant delay improvements over the existing candidates in
the literature. In the process of proving the throughput optimality of
ORCD, we introduce a new Lyapunov function construction which
characterizes a large class of throughput optimal policies. The proposed
class includes backpressure and ORCD as simple special cases.

Biography:

Javidi studied electrical engineering at Sharif University of
Technology, Tehran, Iran from 1992 to 1996. She received the MS degrees
in electrical engineering (systems), and in applied mathematics
(stochastics) from the University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, in 1998 and
1999, respectively. She received her Ph.D. in electrical engineering and
computer science from the University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, in 2002.

>From 2002 to 2004, she was an assistant professor in the Electrical
Engineering Department, University of Washington, Seattle. She joined UC
San Diego, in 2005, where she is currently an assistant professor of
electrical and computer engineering. She was a Barbour Scholar during
1999-2000 academic year and received an NSF CAREER Award in 2004. Her
research interests are in communication networks, stochastic resource
allocation, stochastic control theory, and wireless communications.