[UCI-Calit2] 2 pm Presentation Today

Shellie Nazarenus snaz at calit2.uci.edu
Fri Apr 27 09:34:31 PDT 2007

University of California, Irvine

Institute for Software Research

http://www.isr.uci.edu/

ISR Distinguished Speaker Series Winter/Spring 2007

Hiroshi Ishii

Tangible Media Group, MIT Media Laboratory

"Tangible Bits: Beyond Pixels"

http://www.isr.uci.edu/events/dist-speakers06-07/ishii07.html

Friday April 27, 2007

1:30 - 2:00 Refreshments and Networking

2:00 - 3:30 Presentation

ISR Faculty Host: Prof. Susan Elliott Sim, ses at ics.uci.edu

Email RSVP is required

      To: Nancy Myers, nmyers at ics.uci.edu

      By: Monday, April 23

Location: UCI McDonnell Douglas Engineering Auditorium (building #311)

Cost: No cost to attend.

DIRECTIONS and PARKING information are available at:

      http://www.isr.uci.edu/directions.html

ABSTRACT: Where the sea meets the land, life has blossomed into a myriad
of unique forms in the turbulence of water, sand, and wind. At another
seashore between the land of atoms and the sea of bits, we are now
facing the challenge of reconciling our dual citizenships in the
physical and digital worlds. Windows to the digital world are confined
to flat square ubiquitous screens filled with pixels, or "painted bits."
Unfortunately, one can not feel and confirm the virtual existence of
this digital information through one's body.

Tangible Bits, our vision of Human Computer Interaction (HCI), seeks to
realize seamless interfaces between humans, digital information, and the
physical environment by giving physical form to digital information,
making bits directly manipulable and perceptible. Guided by this vision,
we are designing "tangible user interfaces" which employ physical
objects, surfaces, and spaces as tangible embodiments of digital
information. These involve foreground interactions with graspable
objects and augmented surfaces, exploiting the human senses of touch and
kinesthesia. We are also exploring background information displays which
use "ambient media." Here, we seek to communicate digitally-mediated
senses of activity and presence at the periphery of human awareness. Our
goal is to realize seamless interfaces taking advantage of the richness
of multimodal human senses and skills developed through our lifetime of
interaction with the physical world.

In this talk, I will present the design principles and a variety of
tangible user interfaces the Tangible Media Group has presented in Media
Arts, Design, and Science communities including ICC, Ars Electronica,
Centre Pompidou, Venice Biennale, ArtFutula, IDSA, ICSID, AIGA, ACM CHI,
SIGGRAPH, UIST, CSCW.

ABOUT THE SPEAKER: Hiroshi Ishii is a tenured Associate Professor of
Media Arts and Sciences, at the MIT Media Lab. He co-directs Things That
Think (TTT) consortium and directs Tangible Media Group. Hiroshi Ishii's
research focuses upon the design of seamless interfaces between humans,
digital information, and the physical environment.

At the MIT Media Lab, he founded and directs the Tangible Media Group
pursuing a new vision of Human Computer Interaction (HCI): "Tangible
Bits." His team seeks to change the "painted bits" of GUIs to "tangible
bits" by giving physical form to digital information. Ishii and his team
have presented their vision of "Tangible Bits" at a variety of academic,
industrial design, and artistic venues (including ACM SIGCHI, ACM
SIGGRAPH, Industrial Design Society of America, AIGA, Ars Electronica,
Centre Pompidou, and Victoria and Albert Museum), emphasizing that the
development of tangible interfaces requires the rigor of both scientific
and artistic review. A display of many of the group's projects took
place at the NTT InterCommunication Center (ICC) in Tokyo in summer
2000. A three-year-long exhibition "Get in Touch" featured the Tangible
Media group's work at Ars Electronica Center (Linz, Austria) from
September 2001 through August 2004.

Prior to MIT, from 1988-1994, he led a CSCW research group at the NTT
Human Interface Laboratories, where his team invented TeamWorkStation
and ClearBoard. In 1993 and 1994, he was a visiting assistant professor
at the University of Toronto, Canada. He received B. E. degree in
electronic engineering, M. E. and Ph. D. degrees in computer engineering
from Hokkaido University, Japan, in 1978, 1980 and 1992, respectively.

http://ttt.media.mit.edu/

http://tangible.media.mit.edu/

UPCOMING SPEAKERS

Jeff Magee, Imperial College, London

"Distributed Software Engineering: an Architectural Approach"

May 18

2:00 - 3:30

University Club (UClub) Library (building #801)

http://www.isr.uci.edu/events/dist-speakers06-07/magee07.html

SPONSORS

The UCI Institute for Software Research warmly thanks its sponsors:

     The Aerospace Corporation

     The Boeing Company

     IBM Research

     Intel Corporation