[UCI-Calit2] Joint seminar on games and learning, May 8

Stuart Ross stuross at rgs.uci.edu
Thu Apr 20 14:29:43 PDT 2006

The UC Irvine Department of Education,

in collaboration with

Calit2 and The Game Culture & Technology Lab

Present a seminar by

	James Paul Gee
	Professor of Education
	University of Wisconsin-Madison

      "Towards a Game-Based Theory of Learning"

Monday, May 8, 2006
3:00 p.m. - 4:30 p.m.
McDonnell Douglas Auditorium

The Speaker:
James Paul Gee is the Tashia Morgridge Professor of Reading at the
University of Wisconsin, Madison, where he holds appointments in
Educational Psychology and in Curriculum & Instruction.  He is an
international leader in research on literacy, discourse analysis, and
the role of video games in learning.  His recent books include 'What
Video Games Have to Teach Us About Learning and Literacy' (Palgrave
Macmillan, 2003) and 'Situated Language and Learning: A Critique of
Traditional Schooling' (Routledge, 2004).

Abstract:
This talk will present a game-based theory of learning.  This theory is
not directed towards using games in classrooms, but on importing into
classrooms (and other learning settings) the learning principles good
video games incorporate, with or without a game.  Good video games
demonstrate good learning principles, but not just because they are
games.  In fact, I will spend some time in the talk on distinguishing
good leaning principles that do and do not follow from the fact that
video games are games (because, of course, they are more than just
games).  This will lead to the question of whether we can leave out the
"game-centered" principles and still achieve deep learning, though these
are often the hardest ones to take to school.  I will close with some
discussion of the pressures new forms of learning--and new institutional
settings for learning--will put on schools in the future.

For further information:  Dr. Mark Warschauer, 824-2526,
or Dr. Stuart Ross, 824-9602

Refreshments will be served after the seminar.