[UCI-Calit2] Calit2 Faculty Candidate Seminar Announcement

Anna Lynn Spitzer aspitzer at rgs.uci.edu
Mon Feb 6 14:46:52 PST 2006

SEMINAR

On Theory and Applications for Network Coding

Dr. Christina Fragouli*
Postdoc, School of Communication and Computer Sciences, EPFL,
Switzerland

4- 5 p.m.

WEDNESDAY, Feb. 8, 2006

Calit2 Building, Room 3008

Network coding is an emerging area that re-examines fundamental
principles of network information flow. The main idea is that we allow
intermediate nodes in a network not only to forward but also to process
the incoming information flows. The network code is the set of the
operations that intermediate nodes perform. This simple idea promises to
have a significant impact in diverse areas that include multicasting,
network monitoring, reliable delivery, resource sharing, efficient flow
control and security.

In this talk we will start by introducing network coding and describing
the information flow decomposition. This is a method we developed which
shows that very different networks are equivalent from the coding point
of view and allows us to identify such equivalence classes. We will use
this method to address questions such as: over how large a finite field
should our network code operate; and what throughput benefits should we
expect to get by using network coding.

We will also discuss a number of applications, including information
dissemination in fixed or mobile ad-hoc wireless and sensor networks.

* Dr. Fragouli is a candidate for the Calit2 transportation engineering
faculty position in civil and environmental engineering.