[UCI-CalIT2] Upcoming Seminar Notice on Nanoscale Construciton and Magnetic Fingerprinting

Shellie Nazarenus SNAZ at uci.edu
Fri May 28 11:55:32 PDT 2004

JOINT ISIS AND CONDENSED MATTER SEMINAR

"Nanoscale Construction and Magnetic Fingerprinting"

featuring

Kai Liu, University of California, Davis

Date: Wednesday, June 02, 2004

Time: 4:00 p.m.

Location: Nat. Sci. I 1114 at UCI

Abstract: Nanostructured materials often exhibit novel properties as
their physical dimensions become comparable to certain characteristic
length scales. However, the ease of fabrication and characterization of
such nanostructures often scales inversely with the physical dimensions.
In the first part of my talk, I will present our recent efforts in
achieving magnetic nanostructures cost-effectively over macroscopic
areas. A combination of techniques, including nanoporous alumina shadow
mask, pulsed electrodeposition, sputtering, evaporation, reverse
micelle, and lithography methods have been used to realize nanowires,
nanodots, core/shell nanoparticles, and other patterned nanostructures.
Magnetic and spin-dependent transport properties of these materials will
be will be illustrated. In the second half of the talk, I will present a
recently developed First-Order Reversal Curve (FORC) technique for
characterizing magnetic nanostructures. The method uses a large number
of partial hysteresis curves to obtain detailed information about the
distribution of magnetic properties of a system. Studies on Co/Pt
perpendicularly magnetized thin films will be shown to illustrate the
magnetization reversal processes. The macroscopic features observed by
FORC are further confirmed by microscopic studies using Transmission
X-Ray Microscopy (TXRM).  Our results demonstrate that FORC can
potentially be used as a "fingerprinting" tool for magnetic systems.

Host: D. Mills

Shellie Nazarenus

Communications Mgr.

Cal-(IT)2 UC Irvine division

416 Engineering Tower

Irvine, CA 92697-2800

office: (949) 824-9622 cell: (949) 533-2564 fax: (949) 824-8197

www.calit2.net