[CPCC] Seminar by Prof. Daniel W. Bliss

Hamid Jafarkhani hamidj at uci.edu
Fri Aug 1 17:22:56 PDT 2014

Title: Joint Radar-Communications Performance Bounds: Data versus Estimation Information Rates

Speaker: Prof. Daniel W. Bliss

Date: August 13, 2014, Wednesday

Time: 2:00 PM

Venue: Harut Barsamian Colloquia (Engineering Hall 2430)

ABSTRACT

We investigate cooperative radar and communications
signaling. While each system typically considers the
other system a source of interference, by considering the
radar and communications operations to be a single joint
system, the performance of both systems can, under certain
conditions, be improved by the existence of the other. As an
initial demonstration, we focus on the radar as relay scenario
and present an approach denoted multiuser detection radar
(MUDR). We present a novel joint estimation and information
theoretic bound formulation that is constructed for a receiver
that observes communications and radar return in the same
frequency allocation. The joint performance bound is presented
in terms of the communication rate and the estimation rate of
the system.

Speaker Bio:

Daniel W. Bliss is an Associate Professor in
the School of Electrical, Computer and Energy Engineering at
Arizona State University.  Dan received his Ph.D. and M.S.
in Physics from the University of California at San Diego
(1997 and 1995), and his BSEE in Electrical Engineering from
Arizona State University (1989).  His current research
topics include multiple-input multiple-output (MIMO)
wireless communications, MIMO radar, cognitive radios, radio
network performance, geolocation, and statistical signal
processing for anticipatory physiological analytics.  Before
moving to ASU Dan was a senior member of the technical staff
at MIT Lincoln Laboratory (1997-2012). Employed by General
Dynamics (1989-1993), he designed rocket avionics and
performed magnetic field calculations and optimization for
high-energy particle-accelerator superconducting magnets.
His doctoral work (1993-1997) was in the area of
high-energy particle physics.