[CPCC] Distinguished Seminar by Prof. P. R. Kumar

Hamid Jafarkhani hamidj at uci.edu
Wed Oct 17 11:35:45 PDT 2012

Title: The Challenge of Cyber-Physical Systems

Speaker: Prof. P. R. Kumar

Date: October 22, 2012, Monday

Time: 3:00 - 4:00 pm

Venue: Engineering Hall 2430

ABSTRACT:
Cyber–physical systems (CPSs) are the next
generation of engineered systems in which computing, communication,
and control technologies are tightly integrated.
We present a historical account of paths leading to the
present interest in CPSs. Research on CPSs is fundamentally important
in many important application domains such as
transportation, energy, and medical systems. We overview
CPS research from both a historical point of view in terms of
technologies developed for early generations of control
systems, as well as several foundational research topics that underlie
this area. These include issues in data fusion,
real-time communication, security,
middleware, hybrid systems and proofs of correctness.

SPEAKER's BIO: P. R. Kumar obtained his B. Tech. degree in Electrical
Engineering
(Electronics) from I.I.T. Madras in 1973, and the M.S. and D.Sc. degrees in
Systems Science and Mathematics from Washington University, St. Louis,
in 1975 and 1977,
respectively. From 1977-84 he was a faculty member in the Department of
Mathematics
at the University of Maryland Baltimore County. From 1985-2011 he was a
faculty member
in the Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering and the
Coordinated Science
Laboratory at the University of Illinois. Currently he is at Texas A&M
University,
where he holds the College of Engineering Chair in Computer Engineering.

Kumar has worked on problems in game theory, adaptive control,
stochastic systems,
simulated annealing, neural networks, machine learning, queueing networks,
manufacturing systems, scheduling, wafer fabrication plants and
information theory.
His current research interests are in wireless networks, sensor
networks, and
networked embedded control systems. His research is currently focused on
wireless
networks, sensor networks, cyberphysical systems, and the convergence of
control,
communication and computation.

Kumar is a member of the National Academy of Engineering of the USA, and
the Academy
of Sciences of the Developing World. He was awarded an honorary
doctorate by the
Swiss Federal Institute of Technology (Eidgenossische Technische
Hochschule) in
Zurich. He received the IEEE Field Award for Control Systems, the Donald
P. Eckman
Award of the American Automatic Control Council, the Fred W. Ellersick
Prize of
the IEEE Communications Society, and the Outstanding Contribution Award
of ACM
SIGMOBILE. He is a Fellow of IEEE. He was a Guest Chair Professor and
Leader of
the Guest Chair Professor Group on Wireless Communication and Networking at
Tsinghua University, Beijing, China. He is an Honorary Professor at IIT
Hyderabad.
He was awarded the Distinguished Alumnus Award from IIT Madras, the Alumni
Achievement Award from Washington University in St. Louis, and the
Daniel C.
Drucker Eminent Faculty Award from the College of Engineering at the
University of
Illinois.