[CPCC] Distinguished Seminar: June 2 at 11:00 AM

Hamid Jafarkhani hamidj at uci.edu
Thu May 20 15:18:49 PDT 2010

                           CPCC DISTINGUISHED SEMINAR

      Insights into the Stable Recovery of Sparse Solutions

                                by

                           Bhaskar D. Rao

                         June 2, 2010, Wed.
                                11 AM
                       Engineering Hall 2430

                               ABSTRACT

The problem of sparse signal recovery has received much attention recently
with the development of compressed sensing. In this talk, we will examine
the problem of stable recovery of sparse solutions in noisy environments.
First we will briefly review algorithms for sparse signal recovery and discuss
the connection between l1 minimization and support recovery of sparse signals
to provide context. We then establish a connection between the sparse signal
recovery problem and wireless communication models in network information theory.
We will show that the stable recovery of a sparse solution with a single measurement
vector (SMV) can be viewed as decoding competing users simultaneously transmitting
messages through a Multiple Access Channel (MAC) at the same rate. With multiple
measurement vectors (MMV), we relate the inverse problem to the wireless communication
scenario with a Multiple-Input Multiple Output (MIMO) channel. In each case, based on
the connection established between the two domains, we will leverage channel capacity
results to shed light on the fundamental limits of any algorithm to stably recover
sparse solutions in the presence of noise.

                        SPEAKER'S BIOGRAPHY

Bhaskar D. Rao received the B.Tech. degree in electronics and electrical communication
engineering from the Indian Institute of Technology, Kharagpur, India, and the M.S. and
Ph.D. degrees from the University of Southern California, Los Angeles, in 1981 and 1983,
respectively. Since 1983, he has been with the University of California at San Diego,
La Jolla, where he is currently a Professor with the Electrical and Computer Engineering
Department. His interests are in the areas of digital signal processing, estimation theory,
and optimization theory, with applications to digital communications, speech signal processing,
and human-computer interactions.

He is the holder of the Ericsson endowed chair in Wireless Access Networks and is the
Director of the Center for Wireless Communications. His research group has received several
paper awards. Recently, a paper he co-authored with B. Song and R. Cruz received the 2008
Stephen O. Rice Prize Paper Award in the Field of Communications Systems and a paper he
co-authored with S. Shivappa and M. Trivedi received the best paper award at AVSS 2008.
He was elected to the fellow grade in 2000 for his contributions in high resolution spectral estimation.