[CPCC] SEMINAR: Interference Alignment April 26 Mon 10 AM

Ender Ayanoglu ayanoglu at uci.edu
Wed Apr 21 12:51:07 PDT 2010

                               CPCC SEMINAR

             Interference Alignment - Principles and Applications

                                    by

                            Viveck R. Cadambe

                          April 26, 2010, Monday
                                   10 AM
                         Engineering Gateway 3161

                                  ABSTRACT

Recently, the interference management technique of interference
alignment has been shown to be an extremely effective interference
management technique in wireless networks which potentially yields
rates much higher than conventional interference management schemes.
In this talk, we will explore the principles and applications of
alignment in three parts.  The first part of the talk will provide an
overview of the current state of the art in interference alignment
literature. In particular coding techniques that are fundamental to
alignment will be explained through simple examples. We will argue
that the coding techniques of joint coding, symbol extensions and
asymmetric complex signaling, which are not required for
point-to-point (interference-free) networks, are however useful in
aligning interference in wireless interference networks.  While a
significant body of recent literature on interference networks has
focused on exploring the benefits of these techniques (viz. joint
coding, symbol extensions and lattice coding), a parallel body of work
has been to find regimes in interference networks where these
(relatively sophisticated) interference management techniques are not
required. These regimes, also called the "noisy interference regimes"
find conditions in interference networks where random, circularly
symmetric Gaussian coding and treating interference as noise achieves
capacity. In the second part of the talk, we will explore the
fundamental idea of alignment and present an interesting connection
between these two seemingly distinct bodies of work, viz. interference
alignment and noisy interference regimes.  In the third part of the
talk, we will explore a curious application of interference alignment,
viz. minimizing bandwidth when repairing failed nodes in distributed
storage facilities storing data. We will present the problem, explore
the connection between the bandwidth required to repair failed storage
nodes and interference channels. We will finally present a solution to
the problem of finding the minimum bandwidth required to repair failed
nodes in distributed storage systems.

                           SPEAKER'S BIOGRAPHY

Viveck R. Cadambe received his B.S. and M.S. degrees in Electrical
engineering from the Indian Institute of Technology Madras, Chennai,
India in 2006. He is currently working toward my Ph.D. degree at the
University of California, Irvine. His research interests include
multiuser information theory and wireless networks. Mr. Cadambe is a
recipient of the 2009 IEEE Information Theory Society Paper Award and
the UCI Electrical Engineering and Computer Science Department Best
Paper Award for 2008-09. He also received the University of
California, Irvine CPCC graduate fellowship for the year 2007-08.