[CPCC] REMINDER: TALK: Secure Neighbor Discovery in Mobile Networks 11/16 Monday 4 PM

Ender Ayanoglu ayanoglu at uci.edu
Sun Nov 15 17:37:47 PST 2009

[If interested in meeting with the speaker, please send email to the host
 athina at uci.edu.]

                                   TALK

           Secure Neighbor Position Discovery in Mobile Networks

                                    by

                            Dr. Claudio Casetti
                        Dipartimento di Elettronica
                           Politocnico di Torino

                         November 16, 2009, Monday
                                  4 PM
                          2430 Engineering Hall
                            (Colloquium Room)

                                 ABSTRACT

In mobile ad-hoc networks, knowledge of neighbor positions is a
requirement in a number of important tasks. However, distributed
techniques to perform secure neighbor position discovery, suitable for
mobile ad-hoc environments, are missing.  In this talk, we address
this need by proposing a lightweight Secure Neighbor Position
Discovery (SNPD) that relies only on information exchange among
neighbors, without any need of a-priori trustworthy nodes.  The
challenges that an SNPD system must address are multi-faceted: (i)
devices running an SNPD need to be able to track their own position
and relate it to a common, reliable time reference; (ii) on-demand,
real-time knowledge of neighbor positions and identities is needed;
(iii) neighboring devices can be faulty or under the control or
influence of an adversary, and must be properly detected.  While we
assume that the devices are compliant with the first requirement, we
focus on designing an SNPD mechanism that addresses the latter two
requirements and allows nodes to validate the positions of neighbors
within their communication range in a distributed manner. We envision
a system where nodes act individually but cooperate and leverage the
contribution of neighbors to weed out wrong-doers. Our proposal
results in a lightweight scheme that can be executed by any mobile
node, at any point in time, without prior knowledge or assumed
trustworthiness of the other nodes that participate.  We present a
detailed security analysis of our protocol in presence of one or
multiple (independent or colluding) adversaries, and we show its
performance in vehicular and pedestrian ad hoc network environments.

                          SPEAKER'S BIOGRAPHY

Claudio Casetti is an Assistant Professor within the Wireless Networks
Group at the Dipartimento di Elettronica of Politecnico di Torino,
Italy.  His research interests are in the field of wireless
communications, specifically ad-hoc networks and vehicular networks.
He has published more that 110 papers in refereed journals and leading
international conferences, and holds three patents.  He has been
involved in the chairing committe of several leading international
conferences, including IEEE GLOBECOM, IEEE INFOCOM and IEEE/IFIP
WONS. Currently he serves as an editor for the Journal of Computer
Networks (JCN). He is a Member of IEEE.

The Wireless Networks Group in the Dipartimento di Elettronica of
Politecnico di Torino has a long-term experience in modeling,
simulating, and implementing network protocols for wireless
networks. Scientific publications from members of the group cover the
fields of wireless LANs, ad hoc wireless networks, sensor networks,
vehicular networks, and mesh networks.

Host: Prof. Athina Markopoulou