[CPCC] TALK: Multimedia Streaming over the Internet -- TODAY 11am ET 331 (fwd)

Ender Ayanoglu ayanoglu at uci.edu
Mon Mar 28 09:32:27 PST 2005

        CONTROL MECHANISMS FOR MULTIMEDIA STREAMING OVER THE INTERNET

                         Athina Markopolou, Ph.D.
                           Stanford University

                          Monday, March 28, 2005
                                 11:00 AM
                           Engineering Tower 331

                                 ABSTRACT
The Internet is fast becoming the ubiquitous communication infrastructure,
carrying all types of traffic and interconnecting various edge networks.
The increasingly popular multimedia applications, such as Voice over
IP (VoIP) and video streaming are challenging to to support over the
Internet due to both their strict Quality-of-Service (QOS) requirements
and the behavior of the underlying packet networks. In this talk, I will
address some of the challenges faced by media streaming over the wired and
wireless Internet.

First, I will consider media streaming in an interference limited wireless
environment. I will use joint control of power at the transmitter and
playout scheduling at the receiver so as to minimize the power consumption
and maximize the media quality. We formulate the problem using dynamic
programming and we design practical heuristics that bring significant
performance gains. Second, I will consider media streaming over a hybrid
path, using a novel in-band notification mechanism (calles WiSE for
"Wireless Signaling via ECN") at the wireless access point. Finally, I
will briefly discuss the core of the Internet, which is typically
over-provisioned and thus believed not to introduce significant problems.
However, our extensive measurement studies reveal that backbone networks
today suffer from failures, which need to be adressed using mechanisms
in the network and/or at the end-systems.

                          SPEAKER'S BIOGRAPHY

Athina Markopolou received the Diploma degree in Electrical and Computer
Engineering from the National Technical University of Athens, Greece in
1996, and the M.S. and the Ph.D. degrees in Electrical Engineering from
Stanford University in 1998 and 2002 respectively. She has been a
postdoctoral fellow at Sprint Advanced Technologies Labs (2003) and
Stanford (2004-2005). She is the recipient of Mathematical Olympiad prizes
(1987-1991) and the author of one of the 8 best papers in IEEE INFOCOM'02.
Her research interests are in network architecture and performance
engineering, including support of multimedia traffic over wired and
wireless networks, network reliability and security, monitoring and
control.

Directions: www.cpcc.uci.edu/Directions-CPCC-UCI.htm