[CPC-Info] CPC Talk October 16

Ender AYANOGLU ayanoglu@uci.edu
Thu Oct 10 16:08:01 2002

				    TALK
                   Center For Pervasive Communications
  	            University of California, Irvine

				  presents

     How Much Diverse Delay Requirements Could Be Supported Efficiently
			   Over A Single Channel?

			Wednesday, October 16, 2002
			     11:00 AM,  ET 331

				Sami Ayyorgun
                    University of California San Diego

				   ABSTRACT
In this talk, we discuss the feasibility of serving packet streams with
diverse delay and loss requirements efficiently over a single channel.
Specifically, we base our discussions on a problem where a multiple of
streams with possibly different delay requirements are to be served over a
channel with a time-varying capacity. Both channel variations and packet
arrivals in streams are modeled as some suitable random processes. We are
interested in finding what possible fractions of packets in each stream
could be served meeting the delay requirements.

We take a graph-theoretic approach for solving the above problem, and
present the following:

1. Formulate the feasibility and the feasible region rigorously for a
broad range of problems.

2. Show finding a "good" inner-bound to the feasible region in general,
and give that inner-bound when stream and/or channel variations are
Bernoulli.

3. Discuss that finding the feasible region (or even finding a "good"
inner-bound of it) is not "simple" when the delay requirements are not
$K$-short-averaged, given the capacity of the channel is $K$-packet at any
time. We have defined what $k$-short-averaged sequences are.

4. Discuss that the analysis needed to solve the above problem when there
are channel variations is effectively the same as the analysis when input
streams are incident onto a channel with a constant capacity, where just a
few more "input streams" called fictitious streams would be simulating
the real channel variations.

5. Make a strategy to efficiently support (more) diverse delay
requirements over communication channels with "simplicity."

				 SPEAKER
Sami Ayyorgun received his Ph.D. in Electrical Engineering (Communication
Theory and Systems) from UC-San Diego in 2001 under the guidance of Prof.
Rene Cruz. He received his M.S. in Electrical and Computer Engineering
from SUNY-Buffalo in 1996, and his B.S. in Electrical and  electronics
Engineering from Bilkent University in 1994. His areas of research
interests are in Communication Networks, Wireless Communications, and
Combinatorial Mathematics.

Wednesday, October 16, 2002
Talk begins at 11:00 am,  ET 331